D40 to D7100

waloshin

Will I notice a significant imorivment over my Nikon D40 to the D7100?

I was thinking of the D7000 but I want the improved auto focus and the video and of xourse the better weather sealing of the D7100.

I had the D7000 but could not afford it at the time so I have a feeling what the D7100 will be like.

I look forward to the low light performance of the D7100 and the in body focus motor.

Does Nikon make any weather sealed lenses? Is the D7100 more weather sealed when compared to the D7000 or is this just a rumor?

Thanks

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Will I notice a significant imorivment over my Nikon D40 to the D7100?

I had the D7000 but could not afford it at the time so I have a feeling what the D7100 will be like.

Does Nikon make any weather sealed lenses? Is the D7100 more weather sealed when compared to the D7000 or is this just a rumor?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'm a little confused with your statements. Before I answer your questions, I would like to ask some myself so that we can better assist you.

1. Which camera and lenses do you currently have?

2. What do you expect to achieve if you get the D7100?

3. Do you have the right computer processor and hard drive to start supporting 24mp files?

waloshin

Welcome to the forum. I'm a little confused with your statements. Before I answer your questions, I would like to ask some myself so that we can better assist you.

1. Which camera and lenses do you currently have?

2. What do you expect to achieve if you get the D7100?

3. Do you have the right computer processor and hard drive to start supporting 24mp files?

I have a 50 mm 1.8D, and the kit lens from the D40.

I expect better low light performance from the D7100, faster focus. Nice video performance, to work with cheaper lenses compared to my D40, and the ability to make bigger prints when compared to my 6 mp D40.

I have a 2008 Macbook with a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo. And a 2012 Macbook Air.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I have a 50 mm 1.8D, and the kit lens from the D40.

I expect better low light performance from the D7100, faster focus.

I have a 2008 Macbook with a 2.4 GHz core 2 duo. And a 2012 Macbook Air.

I don't have the exact data for high ISO performance but they should be about the same. The D7100 offers higher resolution which is good if you crop a lot or print poster size images. The D7000 offers a decent 16mp RAW files. The D7100 does not have an anti-aliasing filter which is what I prefer since they provide better acuity.

Some previous discussion between the two cameras.

http://nikonites.com/d7100/18734-d7000-vs-d7100.html#axzz2nsG4k7xq

Overall, I think you will see a marked improvement between the D40 over the D7000 / D7100. Your Nikon 50mm f1.8D will be able to auto focus too.

waloshin

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I can buy the D7100 from Future shop/Best Buy for $1100 inuding taxes and shipping. Or I could buy the camera out of my Province from an online retail or and only pay my federal tax and save $50 should I do that? I was thinking of buying from Future shop just in case I have a problem I could go down there with the camera.

I live in Saskatchewan I can buy the D7100 from The Camera store online which is located in Calgary AB, and save $50 on not having to pay provincial sales tax.

Last edited:

fotojack

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I live in Saskatchewan I can buy the D7100 from The Camera store online which is located in Calgary AB, and save $50 on not having to pay provincial sales tax.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest to you, rather than going to Future Shop. They employ sales people, not camera people, so they really don't know what they're talking about four thirds of the time! :) The Camera Store is staffed by photographers that know their stuff, and of course, their service is excellent.

waloshin

Is this a good deal? $1050 shipped to my door with the extras.

tmp_Screenshot_2013_12_19_01_07_18_1335689502.png