Record Month, Date and Year on your picture.

BackdoorArts

The information is recorded automatically in the metadata of your photo, no setup necessary other than setting the time and date on your camera. The information is stored within the file and viewable by many tools. If you use Lightroom the information is accessible (and editable) in the basic catalog function.

Winston D. Williams

My first SLR camera was Pentax, and then I used a Cannon EO350 for almost 20 years.
This is my first NIKON [D5200] , I always wanted to own a Nikon. I bought this a week ago or so on Black Friday sale.
I had Sony Point and shoot camera which I paid some $500 + 20 + years ago. The Sony always gave Date, Month and Years on all pictures whether I wanted it or not.
I liked that feature and that’s where I was coming from. I travel many countries and I would like to know when those pictures were shot.

I am not familiar with the terms like: Light room, D6 and EXIF etc. from your responses. I believe they are soft wares. What is D6? I am familiar with Photoshop.

Horoscope Fish

Maybe my previous post was not clear... Yes, you can do this.

Press MENU, click left and then up and down to select the pencil icon (CUSTOM SETTING) menu.
You'll see "CUSTOM SETTING MENU" on the top of the LCD monitor.
Scroll down to d6 - Print Date and turn this option "ON".
Save the setting by pressing OK.

Your camera will now print the date on your photos as you take them.

See Page 163 of the D5200 Reference Manual

Last edited:
EXIF stands for [h=1]Exchangeable image file format[/h]
There is all sorts of information that is encoded with every photo you shoot. It tells you what camera you are using, what lens is on it and what the setting on your camera was when you shot the the photo. it tells you the time, date and if you have an attachment for the camera it can tell you where you were when you shot it (GPS). If you do travel a lot and use a iPhone there is a APP that you can download and run when you are shooting and at the end of the day take a picture of a Q Code the app generates and download to the same folder as your photos and run a quick program on the computer and it will add the GPS to each photo then.

Anyway there are many ways to know when you shot something even if you don't print it on the photo.

Winston D. Williams

Don,
Thank you for the information. It’s very interesting and probably this what I was searching for and is better.
Do you have the name of the App?. Hope the owner’s manual covers more of the same.

480sparky

Don,
Thank you for the information. It’s very interesting and probably this what I was searching for and is better.
Do you have the name of the App?. Hope the owner’s manual covers more of the same.

It's called geotagging. Basically, you embed the GPS coordinates of where the image was taken into the EXIF data.

It's not in the camera manual as this is all third-party stuff.

Horoscope Fish

If you want to Geotag you can "synch" photos using a third party app or you can use something like the Solmeta N3, which is hardware based, and about $200. Still, that's a good $100 cheaper than Nikon wants for their version, the GP-1A.

I've seen the Solmeta in action, though, and it doth rock. Could NOT be simpler to use, stunningly accurate and locked on almost as fast as my Garmin handheld.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

It occurs to me that the discussion quoted hereafter is off the original topic, and possibly very confusing to the novice for whom it is intended.

Let's see if I can make this simple.

Geotagging is when location-based data are stored in the EXIF data of a picture.

The easiest way to accomplish this, with most Nikon cameras that support it, is to either use Nikon's GP-1 or GP-1a GPS unit, connected to the camera; or a third-party knockoff. Nikon charges about $300 for their GP-1a. Horoscope Fish mentions a third-party alternative that costs $200. I have one that costs $50, and probably works just as well as Horoscope Fish's $200 unit or Nikon's $300 unit.

If you have one of these units plugged into your camera, turned on, and locked on to the necessary satellites, then you don't need to do anything else; every picture you take while set up this way will have the geotagging data included in it.

There's also a way via the WU-1 adapter, to get your pictures tagged with GPS data from your Android- or IOS-based device, but this is a bit more complex and clumsy.

And, of course, there are countless ways, once you get the pictures on your computer, to add or edit geotagging data using a variety of aftermarket software.

EXIF stands for [h=1]Exchangeable image file format[/h]
There is all sorts of information that is encoded with every photo you shoot. It tells you what camera you are using, what lens is on it and what the setting on your camera was when you shot the the photo. it tells you the time, date and if you have an attachment for the camera it can tell you where you were when you shot it (GPS). If you do travel a lot and use a iPhone there is a APP that you can download and run when you are shooting and at the end of the day take a picture of a Q Code the app generates and download to the same folder as your photos and run a quick program on the computer and it will add the GPS to each photo then.

Anyway there are many ways to know when you shot something even if you don't print it on the photo.

Don,

It's called geotagging. Basically, you embed the GPS coordinates of where the image was taken into the EXIF data.

It's not in the camera manual as this is all third-party stuff.

If you want to Geotag you can "synch" photos using a third party app or you can use something like the Solmeta N3, which is hardware based, and about $200. Still, that's a good $100 cheaper than Nikon wants for their version, the GP-1A.

I've seen the Solmeta in action, though, and it doth rock. Could NOT be simpler to use, stunningly accurate and locked on almost as fast as my Garmin handheld.

Don,

1 other thing with this app. you get a map that will show you where ever shot was taken. The red dots you can zoom in on and it will expand the map to show you multiple shots and where they were

map.jpg

Winston D. Williams

Bob,
Thanks for the information. I am doing some research on GP-1 GPS, like the one you said you have. I read the reviews on Amazon.com on this, it’s like 50/50 some says it works great .And others seem not happy about.
What is your experience on GP-1. I am travelling to Far-East in mid-January, it’s like once in life time trip for me. I probably end up in buying one anyway.
Thanks again for all your inputs on this. This is a great forum to be in.

Bob Blaylock

Bob,
Thanks for the information. I am doing some research on GP-1 GPS, like the one you said you have. I read the reviews on Amazon.com on this, it’s like 50/50 some says it works great .And others seem not happy about.
What is your experience on GP-1. I am travelling to Far-East in mid-January, it’s like once in life time trip for me. I probably end up in buying one anyway.
Thanks again for all your inputs on this. This is a great forum to be in.

I have had no problems at all with mine. Nearly everywhere that I've tried to use it, it has had no trouble locking on to the satellites and getting a position. Much to my surprise, it even works consistently inside a certain church building, where the GPS on my cellphone does not, and where I would not expect a GPS to work, due to all the metal that is in the construction of that type of building.

With any GPS, your success at using it is going to vary greatly, depending on reception conditions in the time and place that you are.

One issue that you will see mentioned in some of the reviews is the way the connector sticks out from the side of the camera, and the potential that this creates for damage to the camera. Alas, this issue is a genuine concern. It's Nikon's fault, and not that of the manufacturer of the particular unit. Nikon put the connector on the side of the cameras, and used a connector for which a compact right-angle version is apparently not available. Even Nikon's own GP-1a, I believe, has a connector that sticks straight out, creating this same vulnerability.

2013-12-26-15.19.39.jpg