Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8

Browncoat

Been thinking about getting this lens. Or possibly the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, as I've read that either one is comparable to the Nikkor version at about half the price.

Will be using one of these for MMA fights. Does anyone have experience w/ either lens?

Jaynometry

Hey Anthony,

I have the Tamron and have owned it for a week now. I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I don't have any sample images as I haven't really used it aside from shooting random objects in my house, but so far so good. Definitely worth the money. One thing though; won't the 17-50 range be too short for MMA fights? Or will you be right up to the cage?

Last edited by a moderator:

Browncoat

It varies...sometimes right at the cage, sometimes on a stand up above it. It kind of depends on what the promoter has set up. I've used my 50mm prime before, and it often isn't close enough. I may be leaning more towards the 28-75mm f/2.8.

Cagey75

28-75 would be better for your purpose, but I can vouch for the 17-50mm also. Nice and sharp, fast and a LOT quieter than some would have you believe. It's much, much quieter say, than the 50mm f/1.8D when focusing.

Lovely lens IMHO.