New from PA

nighthawk45

Hello, I am new to the forum and photography in general. I have wanted a DSLR for a few years and I think I am ready to make the move. I have been thinking of picking up a Nikon D5200. I have been looking around for some used ones but there is not much out there as far as "Deals" and I am thinking I might be better off to just buy new. Any suggestions on where to buy? I have been doing some simple photography for the past few years with simple point and shoot cameras and cell phones. Here is a picture I took with my galaxy S3.

Last edited:

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! I think you will find DSLRs to be a completely different critter to what your use to, and I think you'll really love the D5200 once you've played with it a bit! :D

nighthawk45

Thanks! Do you think the lens that comes with the package is any good? I heard that the quality is not on par with the other nikon lenses. I guess what i am getting at is; should I just buy the body and a lens separately or buy the package and then buy another lens? I know one lens I really want it the 105 f2.8 macro as I really enjoy photographing flowers etc and macro really interests me. I would love a fisheye lens, what other lens(es) would you recommend?

Bill16

It depends on what package you choose to get. It also depends on your budget. The 105mm you mentioned is one I'm dying to get myself! Lol I would recommend a good zoom lens. I think the 70-300mm is a good lens, if you like shooting birds and animals, and it's fairly reasonably priced. But I also think you will want a smaller zoom for some shots.a lot just depends on how much you want to spend and what shots you want to take the most of.
I'm not the best to advise you too much on lenses, since a lot of my lenses are manual lenses.
But there others here that really know their stuff, and can give you great advice on what lenses that would serve your needs best! :D

Thanks! Do you think the lens that comes with the package is any good? I heard that the quality is not on par with the other nikon lenses. I guess what i am getting at is; should I just buy the body and a lens separately or buy the package and then buy another lens? I know one lens I really want it the 105 f2.8 macro as I really enjoy photographing flowers etc and macro really interests me. I would love a fisheye lens, what other lens(es) would you recommend?

Deezey

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

The 5200 is a great camera! The kit lens....18-55 is a decent lense. If I were you though I would buy the 5200 and an 18-105. An 18-105 refurb will cost 199. The reason for the 18-105 is because while not super fast nor super sharp....it will still produce some great images. And is more useful than the 18-55.

The 105 macro is also a great macro lens. Fast zooms will set ya back a bit in cost.

Primes would be another thing to consider.

But I would be sure to get an 18-105 and at least a 50mm to 85mm prime. And then your macro. With those 3 lenses you can do a lot while learning the ropes.

The reason I suggest a prime in there is they are faster and make a better portrait lens than most budget zooms. But speed is the main thing.

Deezey

Thank you so much. I really want to make sure I can take "normal" shots such as pics of my girls at dance recitals etc. I hear that macro lens takes very good portraits as well as macro shots. I am just getting ready to graduate college so my budget will increase by the summer time. The lens I keep seeing is a 8-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens

looks like you beat me to it lol

The 105 is great....but with a long prime you may find getting back far enough to be a problem. Mix in a shorter prime to help with that. The 5200 is a crop sensor. So your 105 will be a bit longer because of the crop. Actually it will behave more like 157.5mm instead of just 105.

Where as a 50 will be more like a 75mm.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites. If you fill out the rest of your profile, we'll be better able to help you with any of your questions. Things such as where you're from help a lot. :)

18-55 means the focal length of the lens; 18mm gives you a wider view, whereas 55mm gives a narrower but "closer" view.