Price range for product shots?

wud

Does anyone have an idea about which prices normally goes for product shots? I am thinking a medium sized business and since I only have a small amount of experience with this, not to high a starting price.

I've googled some, but found VERY various prices..

wud

Hehe true. Those buyers just have an annoying habit with asking first, what you would charge. If they have a better offer, they say this. If they have a more expensive offer, well.. piece of cake.

I ended up with an idea around $10-13 pr image. Maybe something extra for start up, also transportation if needed.

But guess you cant really say, before you got an actual idea about how many products they want pictures of.

Talked with a guy about this, just wrote him that I am interested if they want it someday.

Lawrence

Why not ask them what the budget is?
If they say what would 5 photos cost then the answer is "Depends on the complexity …"
Budget $25.00 for 5 photos will take 2 seconds
Budget $250000 for 5 photos is a different thing and may require a helicopter to shoot from
Silly example but always best to get their thoughts.
Remember:
"In any negotiation the first person to break the silence - loses"
​So ask "what's your budget?" and then keep quiet until you get an answer.

BackdoorArts

While exaggerated, Lawrence makes a very valid point. A lot depends on what it takes to make the shots. Are they bringing product to you or are you going to them? Do you have autonomous creative control or are you working with someone? How much tweaking do you expect to have to do in post? Lots of factors.

While asking the customer to name their price may lead down a tricky road (if their number is purposefully understated you can go higher, but if it's not you could be out of a gig), so a lot will depend on your relationship with the client beforehand. My first batch of product shots was a barter job where I traded about 20 hours of work for a complete set of graphics for an as yet to be branded photography business to be delivered in Q1 2014. I've done work with this guy before, including recording a bunch of music for a customer event he was doing that I made out on fairly well, but this was for him, and I don't like taking money from friends when we can trade favors. That said, my work got me an offer to do studio work I'm not ready for, on location, so there's promise for a future of that yet-to-be-branded business.

My recommendation would be to call around to existing local studios and ask for quotes based on what you're being asked for (assuming there's a potential gig) and make your quote based on that. I'm a firm believer in breaking even in order to prove yourself, and making your money off repeat customers. If they like your work and come back then profit off the subsequent jobs.

wud

Ugh. Complicated.

It's products for dogs and cats. Food, some toys etc.

I've been in contact because I offered to give a photoshoot for someone winning some contest at their Facebook page, to get some exposure for my website. They thought it was a great idea, so we are doing it - and then he just asked about if I did product shots too.

I like the guy and also the firm, so I don't wanna go into very high prices, rather something we would both be happy about.

But guess I should know a little more about the amount before it's possible to say a price. To do 1 product, it would suck a tiny bit for me, I have 1 hour each way to the studio. That's my problem of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk