Shutter sticking up on my D200 ??? Any Suggestions ???

Nikonite1222

Hi There-

I have a D200 with about 19,000 clicks and if I let the camera sit for about 10 minutes, and then turn it on, take my first picture, the shutter will stick open and the lcd on the top of the body and in the viewfinder flashes "err". if I press the shutter again, it comes back down and I can take pic's fine after that. It seams to be sticking and needs to be "loosened up' so to speak, but I am not sure.

If anybody has had this issue, please let me know.

And if you can also tell me how the problem was solved.

Thanks Much- Doug:cool:

fotojack

This once happened to me, too, as I also have the D200. I use a grip on mine, with two batteries installed in the grip. If one of those batteries loses power, the shutter will stick open. I fixed this by making sure both batteries are FULLY charged! Another cause could be with the shutter mechanism itself, although rare. This would be best taken care of by having it serviced by an authorized Nikon tech. Not something you want to mess around with by yourself. 19,000 clicks is not a lot for the D200. It's rated for well over 150,000 actuations. Some have been known to have over 200,000 actuations! An amazing camera, in my humble opinion. Hope you get it fixed, and please let me know how it turns out.

Nikonite1222

Hi Fotojack-

Thank for the info, funny you say that you use a grip. I have one on mine as well. I just checked it and one battery is out and the other has 72% charge left and is perfect for the charging life as well. I have used one battery in this before without any shutter problems. I think i will call my local authorized Nikon dealer tomorrow and run it by them. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for the advise !!!

Sincerely- Doug

fotojack

Hey, no problem. That's why we're here......to help. :) OH, before I forget.......I don't know where you're from, but if you go to Best Buy, you can get cheaper batteries for your D200 (ENEL-3E). They're around $40 for those. And in the grip, they BOTH need to be fully charged. That's just the way it works. :)

Curt

Funny I have a D200 with the grip, I can run the batteries right down, have no shutter sticking problem at all.
Mind you when I bought it my D200 only had 27 actuations on a new shutter.

fotojack

Yeah, I don't know why, Curt, but when one of the batteries nearly dies, the other doesn't kick in for some reason. I need both to run or......take off the grip and just use one battery as per usual. And when using the grip and the batteries are nearly depleted, the shutter sticks open, or it won't open at all. Other than that, I love this camera!

Curt

That is odd, I always have my grip on, and rarely use two batteries in it (only if I feel I will shoot a lot and need the extra battery life). Maybe it’s when the shutter mechanism gets worn a bit? I don’t have that trouble at all, and as I said the battery in mine gets run right down.

Ruidoso Bill

I have a Link delight grip on mine, the one with the lcd. I have not had any issues with the shutter sticking open. When the batteries run down on mine it just stops functioning.

It may be time for a good tech or factory cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curt

That would be my guess as well. I don’t have any shutter sticking problem at all.
Mine just stops working when the battery drains, I can use two or only one battery in my grip and it does not make a difference.

fotojack

That would be my guess as well. I don’t have any shutter sticking problem at all.
Mine just stops working when the battery drains, I can use two or only one battery in my grip and it does not make a difference.

Curt, that's what mine does, too. I probably didn't explain it right. And something I found out after reading your other post, Curt, was that the grip will work with only one battery! lol I didn't think it would. And my shutter doesn't stick.....it just stops working. I had it professionally cleaned not too long ago, and it's perfect; no problems whatsoever with it.

Nikonite1222

Hi there Everybody-

Well,,,I found out that I had an old version of firmware, 1.00 on both the A and B sides. So, I updated them both to 2.01. Then I charged my battery that was dead, and now the shutter doesn't stick at all when I turn it on and take a shot. Now,,,I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but we'll see what the future holds.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and insight. Talk to you all soon.

Sincerely- Doug

fotojack

wow! You still had version 1?? I just assumed........oh well, never mind. Water under the bridge now, right? :) You'll find that with the new version 2.01, it resolves a lot of battery issues. For one thing, your batteries will last longer. Glad ya got it fixed. :)

Nikonite1222

Hi Jack-

I know,,,The back story on this is that I bought it used earlier this summer and it had about 18,000 clicks then, i have not had any issues with it till recently with the sticking shutter. And after figuring out that I had an old version of firmware. So I upgraded that and we'll see how it goes. I'm going on my daughters 7th grade field trip to the Dayton Air Force Museum on Thursday, (I live in Columbus, Ohio) so that will be a GREAT place to shoot lots of aviation photography, so I'll give it a test then.

Thanks also for the info on what advantages come with the firmware upgrade. I like to have longer battery life.

Talk Soon !!!

Doug

philcampus

I have a d200 with the same problem. With the battery in the grip the shutter would stick but when I put the battery in the camera it would work fine. I roughed up the connections on the grip and all other connections and the problem was solved, so far.