What is the difference between two 50mm f/1.8G lenses?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Amazon has two different 50mm f/1.8G lenses advertised. I am familiar with the one, but the other is listed as a Special Edition lens with a price of $276.95--it is temporarily out of stock. Do that many people want to pay the extra money for it? What does it do that the regular 50mm f/1.8G ($216.95) can't do? :confused:

Dave_W

The Dude
I believe this is the retro-lens that came out with the Df camera. I've not yet read anything about its optics but I would imagine they're both very similar.

480sparky

I believe the optics are identical. The 'retro' version has the silver ring to look like an aperture ring, and has f/16 DOF scales on it.

WhiteLight

Yep.. Had a chance to look at one briefly.. Looks like the older lenses.. Quite cool actually.. But what lies within them both is the same

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I believe this is the retro-lens that came out with the Df camera. I've not yet read anything about its optics but I would imagine they're both very similar.

I believe the optics are identical. The 'retro' version has the silver ring to look like an aperture ring, and has f/16 DOF scales on it.

Thank you both for the information. I can understand why people might want to use the DOF scale--wish that would be included on all lenses.

Brian

The silver ring is not intended to look like an aperture ring, it is the ring built into Manual Focus lenses to grip while mounting and dismounting the lens from the camera. The Df kit with lens is $250 for than body alone, I figured it was a cheap price for an Aspheric Nikkor fast 50. But so far, the 55/1.2 and 135/2.3 have been the lenses most used on it.

Almost forgot- the 55/1.2 and 135/2.3 look really cool on the camera, so cool- I had to use gloves... and no problem handling the Df controls with winter gloves on.