D700 or D7000?

grlcatd4

I don't mean to seem naive here. I am new. I have a D80 and want to upgrade my Nikon body. Trying to get something better but not spend over $2500. Actually would like to spend lower but get something decent. I need help. Anyone have pics from these cams?
Links? Thanks all.. ;)

Ruidoso Bill

I think the 1st thing you need to decide is what are you looking to gain by upgrading to another body. The two you mention are very different cameras, the D7000 is DX or small frame and the D700 is FX or full frame, good to know if you have lots of lenses for you DX D80, these may not work on the D700. The 7K has video, the D700 does not. The D700 costs about 2.5 times what the D7000 costs. I think it is safe to say the D700 is regarded as a pro level camera just under the D3's and the D7000 is more of a newer technology prosumer level camera.

You first need to decide what your needs are currently and in the future. Both are Nikon, both are great but very different.

Joseph Bautsch

The D700 is a FX full frame camera and has a sensor that is 1.5x larger than the D7000 DX sensor. The D700 is a pro level camera, has pro level features that the D7000 does not. It's a great camera and is definitely an upgrade from the D7000. You should also know that, if you want a full frame camera, the D800 will be on the market very shortly and you may want to wait. The D80 camera is a DX camera. If you have DX lenses for it they will work on the D700 but at a very reduced mega pixel level. Some people say the size, weight and cost of the FX body and lenses is a disadvantage some don't. The D700 body only is within your price range but you also have to have FX lenses which you may or may not have with the D80. I'm sure others on the site can add more comments.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi, I've upgraded from D80 to D90 and just before Xmas to D7000. I think the D7000 is superb camera. You probably would get more bang for your buck to get the D7000 and invest in some prime lenses or prime zooms. Oh, and don't forget a good tripod. I just got my old and trusty Tiltall tripod out of the moth balls and all of a sudden my shot are sharper... I wonder why. Or a nice flash system to get great light.

The other question you should ask yourself is how large you want to print. 20"X24" is large enough for me and for that the D90 was good enough with good light.

Marcel Carey,
D7000, D90, few primes.

MwCapel

great advise by @Marcel Carey

i actually went from the d90 to d700 and i am very happy!!!! but if you dont have the lenses u will be in a bad position, just do a little more research.

mcshan

I'm also in the same position of trying to determine d700 or d7000 for my first (gasp) DSLR. I've been shooting with my Nikon F100 for years and looking to finally have a DSLR for commercial work - I do mostly landscapes (urban and nature) and travel photography. One of my concerns is whether either one of those camers (d700 or d7000) is compatible with my current Nikkor AF lenses. Based on the above it seem the FX would be a be better camera for me, but not sure how the lenses would work.

fotojack

If I was shooting commercial, I wouldn't even hesitate getting the D700. It just requires getting FX type lenses. I mean.....why go half way?

mcshan

I hear you there on half way, I guess I was hoping to not have to shell out $3K right now. If I could use my current lenses it would save me some money.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I hear you there on half way, I guess I was hoping to not have to shell out $3K right now. If I could use my current lenses it would save me some money.

If you do travel the D7000 is lighter and smaller. This is one thing that had my choice eased out in favor of the D7000. I do cycling trips and the weight (or lack of) is important for me. IQ wise, the D700 is probably better, but it is being phased out or there are speculation about it. If the replacement is much better, you might regret your choice. Or you might want to wait for the new model to how up so the present D700 comes down in price.
But as far as I'm concerned, the image quality of the D7000 I find very good. I've had sharper images with this camera than I had with the Hasselblad. Plus, the control of digital with contrast and saturation. If this is your first DSLR, plan some time to learn the digital processing programs (photoshop, lightroom or Aperture).
Spend some time in the shops and play around with both models with your own memory card. Go back home and see what the results are with both models. It should help you make a wiser decision.
Both are great cameras, but at some point money rules.

Marcel

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
d7000 1600 iso 1200x1200 060.jpg

One portion of your question was not answered. You wanted to see picture taken with the D7k.
Here's one taken at 1600 ISO. Mind you, this is low res for the forum. I have a few in my gallery so it could maybe give you an idea.

mcshan

I was talking with someone else today who mentioned that the D7K was lighter - she was reminded of using her D300 when she tried it out. That image you posted was a great example (wow 1600 ISO too). I'll take them both out for a spin and see how things go. I'm already scanning in most of my negatives (I don't really have access to a darkroom at the moment) at the moment anyway so know my basic way around photoshop. And yes, ultimately money does rule at some point.

Curt

I think the choice is a no brainier, the D7000 is half the price, the images as crisp and sharp, and you don’t have to replace all your lenses?? I have both a D80 & D200.
I will be looking at a D7000 this spring. Best move as I see it.

cameraf4

Curt is absolutely right, the D7000 is the clear choice --- unless you were a longtime Nikon film-camera user. When I first saw the D7000, I was disappointed. It was exactly the camera I was expecting Nikon to introduce at Photokina, except --- it was DX format. If you look closely, you may see that the few things folks complain about on the D700 were mostly addressed on the D7000. Extra memory card, easier way to access your saved Picture Controls, more MPs, newer Expeed processor. It is exactly the camera folks have been expecting as the upgrade on the D700, except for the format.
If you are OK with DX, the D7000 is probably the best treat you can ever give yourself. If you want to use your old AF20mm, AF24mm, AF28-200mm, etc, then the D700 is a dream come true.

johnwartjr

All those lenses will work fine on a D7000, you just have a different angle of view, so the focal lengths will be a little different. I have a D700 and a D90, and interchange lenses on them. I like how my 70-200 2.8 gets me a little more 'reach' on my D90 if I want to go that way.

If you have a bunch of DX glass, then the D7000 is the clear winner in my eyes.
If your glass is not DX glass, it's time to talk D700.

Both are great cameras!

cameraf4

John, that's true. And if I were a "tele" kinda guy, it woulda been great. But on the D80, my AF20mm "extreme wide-angle" lens gave me the results of a 30mm "barely wide-angle." I shoot mostly vistas/scenics. The lenses I use most are 24mm, 20mm, and the short ends of my 24-120 & 28-200. Results w/D80 were less than inspiring, so I just stuck with the 18-135mm "kit lens" that came with it.
Now, with the D700, I can use all my wides plus my old PC wide. I'm covered from 20mm to 600mm again and I'm really liking this.