Something a little different

Glyn Ryles

So this is something a little bit different. I like night photography, and have done more recently than ever before. Walking around Sheffield, I came upon this wondrous creation and just had to get some shots. The first of these was lit quite well from a nearby street lamp, the second one is from the opposite side so I did a bit of light painting using multiple flashes from the speedlight from bottom to top. Both are long exposures, 15 seconds at f6.3 shot with the Tokina 12-24mm f4. They were both post processed with Colour FX running a bleach bypass

11327872255_70221625f4_b.jpg

11286086144_4b69f49706_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Glyn Ryles

Interesting shots what is it?

Suppose I should have said what it was, doh!!!

It's a Bessemer Converter at Kelham Island Museum, one of only three left in the world. It was used by the British Steel Corporation in Workington until 1975, and was brought to the Museum in 1978 as an example of the revolutionary steelmaking process which first took off in Sheffield.

Mike D90

Absolutely interesting stuff! I would love to get up personal and close to old industrial items like that. Old steel like that has such a texture that isn't found often.