Motorbike shoot feedback request

Glyn Ryles

Well, yesterday I did my first motorbike portrait. It's something I've been wanting to do for a while, and I got the chance to photograph my uncles' bike.

He is thrilled with the shot, and to be honest, I'm really happy with how it turned out for my first attempt, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback, especially from others who do this kind of thing on a regular basis.

11314106985_1f0e40aa89_b.jpg

Thanks in advance

Glyn

Last edited by a moderator:

Glyn Ryles

Thanks to everyone for comments thus far.

Really nice shot. Although I'm more of a shoot from an angle kinda guy. I think it adds a little more interest.

I know what you mean, and in future I would definitely shoot at more of an angle, as it was, the straight side on view was requested so I thought I would stick to it in this case.

not to sure about the black background specifically because of the handlebars not showing up against them very good.

I can see your point, I think the handlebars could do with pulling out of the shadows a bit. Again, black background was a request, so I did as asked, next time I will try something different.

Nice shot. Tell us about the setup - lens, EXIF, lighting, etc.

Ok, setup, well, the bike would not start as it has been stood for a while so we were limited in where to do the shoot. As it was, the bike ended up stood aproximately 6ft from the closed garage doors where it is stored. The camera was positioned on a tripod approximately 20ft from the bike at a height of about 2ft. Unfortunately when I left the house I grabbed the wrong bag and ended up with a single 180w/s flash head. luckily I did have the remote triggers with me. So this ended up as 57 shots each taken at ISO100, 1/250th f20 with the flash head fitted with a snoot and used to light individual sections of the bike which were then layered together in GIMP to give the final image. Camera was D300s, lens was Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5

fotojack

This is actually quite a nice shot. Having shot a few motorbikes myself at a local race track, I can appreciate this for what it is. :) I'd even go so far as to say this would be magazine quality. :) Nice work. You should be proud.

​Edit: Get this printed out. this would look good on a wall. :)

Glyn Ryles

This is actually quite a nice shot. Having shot a few motorbikes myself at a local race track, I can appreciate this for what it is. :) I'd even go so far as to say this would be magazine quality. :) Nice work. You should be proud.

​Edit: Get this printed out. this would look good on a wall. :)

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

The print is ready for collection from the print shop tomorrow afternoon so looking forward to that.

I was worried that I had not achieved the best result, but have 2 bookings for bike shoots on the strength of this shot now so feeling really happy.