Hogan confirms Nikon firmware defeats 3 rd party products.

Millie

Banned
In tom Hogans latest text he chides Nikon for making the lates firmware updates give you problems with lenses and batteries you did not have before the upgrade...
Known to me
sigma 18-250 and 18-200 giveing display preview problems
sigma 50-150 giveing focus issue similar to the D800 problem
Neewer vertical grip discharging the internal battery first whatever the settings.
flashguns from YN and Meike not responding to camera flash power adjustment.

Good luck.

BackdoorArts

...and so, to save you all some time, I believe this is may be the seed of what the OP may be referring to.

The Nikon Sigma Kerfuffle | byThom | Thom Hogan

But it does not address firmware changes. Frankly, given that I have 3 sigma lenses that I use rather frequently I may be inclined not to apply any firmware tweaks down the road if there is, in fact, content that will deliberately sabotage my ability to use my Sigma gear.

Last edited:

adox66

Makes very interesting reading and would make you wonder what Nikon are at? If it does become a completely closed system I would reconsider my choice to shoot Nikon and consider selling for an alternative.
Having just recently spend €450 on a Sigma lens I`d be pretty pissed if it stopped working properly due to a firmware update.

Also maybe this thread is in the wrong place? Nothing specific to the D7100?

Millie

Banned
Thanks for that but I got bitten by you lot so much last time for suggesting it was true I thought I would let you make up your own minds..

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Frankly, given that I have 3 sigma lenses that I use rather frequently I may be inclined not to apply any firmware tweaks down the road if there is, in fact, content that will deliberately sabotage my ability to use my Sigma gear.

I've never done any type of firmware update on my cameras--simply because I never looked into how to do it. When I sent in my D600 for repair, they updated the firmware during its first visit there. Fortunately it didn't affect the use of my Sigma lenses. Whew! ;) Like you, I make use of Sigma lenses and certainly don't want to encounter any compatibility issues. Guess I won't be learning how to do a firmware update after all. :eek:

And so far, I haven't noticed any compatibility issues with my D610 using Sigma lenses. Thanks for finding the article, Jake. :)

JohnFrench

I have avoided firmware updates myself. Because my cameras were working fine for me, and the updates were of the type that affected settings/functions in the camera(s) I never use. As long as anything works for me as I want it to, I leave it alone. I tried my Sigma 10-20mm on my new 7100 last night, and as far as I can tell it works. I have yet to try my Tamron 18-270 on the 7100, but if it works, I won't be doing any "updates" that may make the lenses good for nice paperweights.

BackdoorArts

Thanks for that but I got bitten by you lot so much last time for suggesting it was true I thought I would let you make up your own minds..

I don't know about "bitten". You expressed your opinion and I/we expressed our own. And even when I read Hogan he expressed his doubts about the conspiratorial nature of any actions Nikon is/may be taking to thwart 3rd party manufacturers.

If I'm going to "bite" you for anything it's not posting the link to the post you were presenting to back up your position. Note that I am open enough to the idea that I bothered to go looking for it on my own. ;)

BackdoorArts

Some firmware updates are necessary as they correct critical defects that managed to get out in the initial release, so it's tough to avoid having to do them if you wind up as an early adopter. And if you're not, then you're usually getting the latest firmware on the camera anyway when you take delivery. For me, after a year, if it ain't broke for me at least, I'm not worried about the fixes.

I suspect the folks at NikonHacker may start taking a closer look at some of these supposed firmware adjustments should things suddenly stop working on cameras. For giggles, I put my Vello grip back on my D800 to make sure the batteries are discharging in the proper order. I may throw in a 3rd party battery at some point as well to see if it makes a difference.

Millie

Banned
the 10-20 works for me but you may find you think the lenses are working and then ..hang on whats going on ..the preview wont go below 60 sec ...does not affect the picture but boy if you leave the preview on the battery life goes to 1/3 ....did a whole wedding before I started to look why the battery was so discharged.

adox66

the 10-20 works for me but you may find you think the lenses are working and then ..hang on whats going on ..the preview wont go below 60 sec ...does not affect the picture but boy if you leave the preview on the battery life goes to 1/3 ....did a whole wedding before I started to look why the battery was so discharged.
I presume you arent talking about the 10-20 in regards to the 60 second preview but another lens?

Millie

Banned
yes be carefull different lenses are giving different problems and some none and the problems may not be related to focus issues but other menu issues not directly related to the lens..the 50-150 sigma is giving left right focus issues for example but the 18-250/200 image preview problems ..if you dont use auto preview then you have no problem ......

JohnFrench

I can say my 7100 works OK with my Tamron 18-270 as I posted elsewhere here. The preview only shows for 4-5 seconds, I did not check the time it is supposed to show, but it is only briefly-long enough to see the shot, and it goes back to blank screen. This was one of my worries, if preview "stuck".

BackdoorArts

4 cameras, zero issues with the 150-500mm, 24-70mm f/2.8, 8-16mm or 15mm Fish. And after a morning of playing around with the D800, Vello grip and Pearstone aftermarket batteries and watching them work perfectly and discharge in the proper sequence all I can say is, "Your mileage may vary, but not based on my experience."

Last edited:

Millie

Banned
this is the subtle approach ...different problems with different lenses /flash/grip ..if it works for you great but dont say that means everyone else is talking booooolocks...Tom Hogan must have had hundreds of e mails before he would go public.

Nathan Lanni

It's sort of like a shopping center - you need an anchor business (a big name) and whole bunch of smaller businesses. They all make money.

Nikon knows better. Fans would be very annoyed and it doesn't put an extra penny in Nikon's pocket.

Millie

Banned
Well it does I just sold all my Sigma and bought Nikon lenses ..I cannot be pissed about when at a wedding with stuff thats not 100%

BackdoorArts

@Millie I asked this before and don't believe you responded. Did you ever contact Sigma to ask about the issue? If it's truly a firmware compatibility issue then I can't believe you can't have been the only one to have experienced it and Sigma would have at least had options for you, even if it was "we are working on a fix and will update your lens when it becomes available". If not, it's blown smoke, and a disservice to other Nikon users who have the same equipment or may have it later.

Millie

Banned
Sigma have been total pratts ...they thought a D5300 was a Canon ..,went into panic when they asked the serial no and I said I would go get the lens from the studio...claimed no problem with the D7100 then said it was normal for the preview to go to min 60 sec...and did not have any software to re progamme the lens ...total idiots ..sold all my sigma ...by by idiots cannot be doing with this at a wedding its got to be 100%. Have e mailed and asked for a reply from Japan ...we wait ....Neewer will not reply on problems with the vertical grips ..