Those with a d7100 and SB-700 flash

kevmk81

I have a Nikon D7100 and an SB 700 flash. The other day when I was taking pictures, I noticed something I've never seen before.

It only happens when the camera is in a specific configuration:

External flash attached (in my case, the SB 700)
Auto focus points
AF-A or AF-S (doesn't do it in AF-C)

So, what I've noticed is that it looks like is a red cross, with a horizontal, and a vertical line going through the viewfinder, along with the usual focus points.

It only happens with the external flash on the hotshoe, and the flash is turned on. If it's turned off but still on the hotshoe, I don't get the vertical and horizontal lines. The "lines" are more like a band of lines, not a single line.

So, I tried a different configuration:

External flash attached
AF-A or AF-S (doesn't do it in AF-C)
But this time, I chose a specific focus point, say, 1 focus point.

Now what happens is it's only one group of lines, not a cross (vertical group and horizontal group). It's just either a horizontal group of lines or a vertical group of lines, not both.

Gridlines are turned off... I was thinking that's what gridlines were... but I was wrong.

Is there something wrong with the camera, or is this just normal behavior? Maybe I've never used the camera in these modes before, but I've never noticed this before.

So if I use AF-C, it doesn't do the above. It just displays the focus points like it would without the SB 700 attached.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Something to note, I did forget to lock the flash on when taking pictures a couple weeks ago while doing a photo shoot of my 6 month old... not sure if that could have damaged anything?