Sigma & Tamron Work with D7100?

JohnFrench

I have read past posts on a whether some Sigma lens and some Tamron lens will work with the Nikon D7100 or not. I have a question to the owners of the 7100 who may have a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens or a Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 VC PZD lens and a Nikon D7100. These are both common lower cost alternatives to the Nikon lens obviously. Anyone here have one of these combination(s) that can say they will work together or not?
I have a D5100, a D7000, and just bought the D7100, and just stumbled upon these compatibility issues of the past. Both the Sigma and Tamron work fine with both the 5100 and 7000.
Thanks, John.

[h=1][/h]

ShootRaw

Curious as well.I believe the older models have focus issues with the D7100..
But the new ART series should be ok...(sigma) Tamrons with VC should be ok(latest models)

pictaker64

I have the 7100 and the tamron 18-270...any pics I have posted here have been with it.It is as you say a low cost alternative,I bought it to stop the wife from yelling at me "you have the wrong lens on" when she wants to take some pics.I originally purchased a Canon 70d with the exact same lens,after repeated attempts to get sharp pics out of the combo I returned the 70 and went with the 7100.It is a totally different animal with the nikon.I know how to take a pic and that canon actually sapped all of my picture taking right out of me.I was totally frustrated with it and when I took it back to the shop where I purchased it the owner himself,a man with over 40 years experience,tried for two days to get a decent pic out of it.He failed.When I was in originally and trying to decide between the nikon and the canon I took my wife with me,she liked the feel of the canon better so we went with that,he remembered this and offered me the nikon as an alternative(this after 4000 shutter clicks trying to tune the canon in) and I took him up on it.While it is no 70-300 it is quite nice,I intend to purchase a few lens when time and money permit,first up a TC and then something in the 300mm range for my wildlife pics,the sigma 150-500 might be possible,not sure yet.The Tamron 18-270 lens works fine,smooth on the focus and esharp for such a big range,for wildlife and birds its not ideal for sure but you learn to deal with any lenses shortcomings,I just have to get closer..LOL...any questions please pm here or post in the thread,I will be happy to answer them

JohnFrench

Thank you for the answers so far. Pictaker64, your answer allays my fears of the Tamron not being compatible, now hopefully someone will chime in on the Sigma 10-20mm. John.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and it works superbly with my D7000 so I see no reasons what it would not work with the 7100. It's a great lens as far as I'm concerned.

JohnFrench

I have a Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and it works superbly with my D7000 so I see no reasons what it would not work with the 7100. It's a great lens as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks Marcel, but the posts I read dealt specifically with the 7100 having issues with a Sigma. My 10-20mm Sigma works great with my 7000 as well, just trying to ascertain if it will work with the 7100 OK. Now I have the 7100 home, I guess I will just find out soon of there are indeed any compatibility issues. John.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Marcel, but the posts I read dealt specifically with the 7100 having issues with a Sigma. My 10-20mm Sigma works great with my 7000 as well, just trying to ascertain if it will work with the 7100 OK. Now I have the 7100 home, I guess I will just find out soon of there are indeed any compatibility issues. John.

I still don't understand why there would be a compatibility problem. Have you heard of such problems somewhere?

AxeMan - Rick S.

When the D7100 first came out there was a big uproar about SOME Sigma lens not working. Turns out this only applies to OLDER Sigma lens. I'm sure if you look around the threads here you will find a thread on it, right now I can't remember what thread is was in, but the D7100 thread should be a good start.

With that said I use Sigma lens on my D7100 with no trouble, how ever they are not the lens you are talking about.

adox66

Be interested to hear your findings. I have the same lens, only got it about a month ago, and am currently using it with a D3200 but thinking of upgrading to a D7100 in the new year.

Its the lens that spends most time on my body so would be a big deal for me if it didnt work properly.

JohnFrench

I quickly tried my Sigma 10-20mm on the my new 7100 last night, it seems to work OK with a couple of simple quick pics of my den wall. I did not have time to check the function of my Tamron 18-270 yet, but will try to do that later today. Part of the holdup is that we just got some snow, and the weather is really cold out, and I don't want to go outside, LOL. BTW I won't be doing any Nikon camera "updates" as long as the lenses "work" for my needs.

Last edited:

JohnFrench

Re: Sigma & Tamron Work with D7100? Answer:Yes, Sig 10-20mm, Tam 18-270mm.

OK, just got done with a quick try of my new 7100 & a Tamron 18-270. I think it works OK. I did go outside briefly and snap a couple of pics of my neighbors license plate and recycle bin across the street. Photo subjects are tough to come by in a cramped resident 'hood. I think my concerns are now quiet as to compatibility of the 7100, Sig 10-20, & Tam 18-270. (Both of these lens are less than 2 years old) I know my test are not quite as high tech as they could be, but I only needed to know myself if the camera would work with these lenses, and they seem to be OK at this point. If any thing else comes up as time goes by, I will update this and new post on the issue.

cadomniel

I have the Sigma 17-50mm/2.8 EX OS HSM
I just got round to testing it a bit this week. Nothing too scientific but in my testing I found that I have the same problem as another user on here "Millie" and that is the image preview stays up for a minute after you take a shot. This is a bit of problem as it will drain battery a lot faster. More concerning is their does seem to be a bit of a focus issue but I am not 100% sure, maybe its just the difference in resolution between my two cameras, all i know is that the D5100 and Sigma 17-50 combo seems a bit sharper than with the D7100.
By the way the D5100 has no problems with the image preview staying too long either.

I like the Sigma and would like to keep it but if its going to have problems then I may as well get the Nikon 17-55/2.8

Last edited:

adox66

I have the Sigma 17-50mm/2.8 EX OS HSM
I just got round to testing it a bit this week. Nothing too scientific but in my testing I found that I have the same problem as another user on here "Millie" and that is the image preview stays up for a minute after you take a shot. This is a bit of problem as it will drain battery a lot faster. More concerning is their does seem to be a bit of a focus issue but I am not 100% sure, maybe its just the difference in resolution between my two cameras, all i know is that the D5100 and Sigma 17-50 combo seems a bit sharper than with the D5100.
By the way the D5100 has no problems with the image preview staying too long either.

I like the Sigma and would like to keep it but if its going to have problems then I may as well get the Nikon 17-55/2.8

That really is very disappointing to hear. I had my heart set on a 7100 in the new year but I am going to reconsider and think carefully before spending €1000 on a camera body with that's potential issues in place. Its a hell of a lot of money for me and I would really like all options available to me lens wise.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Can't go wrong with Nikon f2.8 and f4 lenses. They tend to keep their value better than most 3rd party lenses if you need to sell them later on.

Sent from my iPhone.

cadomniel

I wouldn't let this stop you because any other new camera might also have compatibility issues with non OEM lenses and accessories.

To be fair, the image autoreview has an easy fix, just hold the shutter button half way to engage shooting mode again and the preview screen turns off. This still drains the battery faster though because the lens is trying to focus and its hard to remember to do that after every shot just for this lens
The disappointing news is Sigma doesn't have a fix for the autoreview issue and while it doesn't affect the image quality it is a nuisance and I would not reccommend this particular lens with the D7100. Seems to work great with the D5100 though.

cadomniel

Yeah maybe for me the Nikon 17-55/2.8 and the 70-200/f4 is a better option if the Sigma is not going to be 100% compatible....
I was thinking of Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS and the Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC.
Hopefullly I don't need to sell them later on :p

Can't go wrong with Nikon f2.8 and f4 lenses. They tend to keep their value better than most 3rd party lenses if you need to sell them later on.

Sent from my iPhone.

ShootRaw

That really is very disappointing to hear. I had my heart set on a 7100 in the new year but I am going to reconsider and think carefully before spending €1000 on a camera body with that's potential issues in place. Its a hell of a lot of money for me and I would really like all options available to me lens wise.
It is not the camera's fault..It is a potential downside of 3rd party lens..

cadomniel

Yeah can't fault the camera because Canon/Pentax etc are going to have similar issues with 3rd party lenses; thats always been the issue.

Definately get the D7100 just think carefully about the lens selection.

Sigma 17-50/2.8 and Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 Contemporary have this issue on the D7100