Basic Portrait Question

Revet

I am actually learning flash photography right now but I am using Portrait shots to practice. I have a Nikon D3100 and I am using an SB-700 flash (on the shoe for starters) on a tripod. While I was practicing different flash manipulations to try and soften the light, I found it a real pain the the you know what to focus on the eyes every time (while using a tripod). Since the 3100 only has one higher end sensor (the middle one, I forget the name of it though so I call it the higher end one), I use it on the eyes. Obviously if I took the camera off the tripod, I could use focus lock when the shutter release is halfway down. What do you Portrait people do (other than buy a better camera with many many focus points) when shooting with a tripod?? I can see a model getting really frustrated with all of the "a little to the left, or now down, no up a little" commands being dished out.

Mike D90

You should have no trouble focusing on anything with that camera. Maybe your depth of field is too narrow but, still, you should be able to focus on the eyes. What about manual focus? Can you try that?

What mode or setting are you using for the portraits?

kklor

You can have someone "sit-in" for the model until you get the camera set up for the shoot. This is a very common practice for pro's who are shooting someone famous with no time or patience.
:eek:Kathleen

Ruidoso Bill

I did use a tripod when I was shooting church directory portraits, simple they sat on stools and I used my 24-70 set the zoom for the family size and used a wired shutter release to focus and shoot. I had continuous lighting and umbrellas set up. When I am shooting any model/subject that moves never a tripod.

Mfrankfort

The only thing I use my tripod for in portraits, is to hold my camera when I'm changing something. I've found it very hard to use a tripod, since your (atleast I) moving a lot, and the subject is moving. I just did a little session with a friends child, and they don't sit still too well. If your shooting something that's moving, so should you. And that makes it pretty hard on a tripod. Tripods are nice to hold the camera when your changing lenses, or changing positions of subjects though.

fotojack

When shooting groups of three or more, I use a tripod, VR off, Aperture mode, soft box, umbrella with studio flash. Shooting children alone...hand held. Works for me. :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
edit* (the middle one, I forget the name of it though so I call it the higher end one), I use it on the eyes. Obviously if I took the camera off the tripod, I could use focus lock when the shutter release is halfway down. What do you Portrait people do (other than buy a better camera with many many focus points) when shooting with a tripod?? I can see a model getting really frustrated with all of the "a little to the left, or now down, no up a little" commands being dished out.

You probably were talking about cross type auto focus sensor.

I find it easier to use a tripod especially when using my Zeiss 135mm f2 manual focus lens. I can get really sharp and accurate focus when shooting with a tripod. You should practice with it and try Mirror up if your camera has one. My handhold technique is not the greatest, in fact I have shaky hands.

BTW, I only use single point focus in most cases and AFC.

Revet

I'm sorry to those who misunderstood me, I probably could have worded the thread a little clearer. I don't have a problem getting the eyes in focus, I just found it tedious to do with the camera on the tripod and was wondering if there was an easier way to do it. Since I'm using a flash which will pretty much stop motion, I guess holding the camera in my hands would solve the problem. I put it on a tripod last night because it was a practice session, trying different bounce and power levels, etc. That why I could make the changes on the flash and write things down as I went ( I guess more like I would do as I set up a shot). Once you have your lighting though, I wouldn't have to change much for a portrait setting.

I guess a helpful comment here would be, how necessary is it to get the central cross-hair sensor right smack on an eye? Is anywhere on the face pretty good (except for maybe the tip of the nose of Jimmy Durante if your using a really low F stop!!). I guess in reality, if I'm focusing on one eye, the other one might be out of focus.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
May I ask which lens are you using and at what aperture? This might not be a concern if you are using a kit lens since you'll have more Dof that can make everything in focus.

Revet

Actually I was using my Tamron 18-270 for this practice session, learning my flash. I do have a nice Tamron Macro lens (90 mm, F/2.8) that I would probably use for portraits in the future

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Actually I was using my Tamron 18-270 for this practice session, learning my flash. I do have a nice Tamron Macro lens (90 mm, F/2.8) that I would probably use for portraits in the future

So with those lenses, it will not be an issue to worry about if the eye will be in focus or not. With a f1.2 or f1.4, then there is a possibility also depending on the fl.

Sent from my iPhone.