Waiting in line for Santa

thegaffney

Followed my friends up to the mountain for a Winter wonderland event, its only place here where the snow sticks. They let me take some photos of them for practice. I like the 2 b&w portait ones the best, they seem very sharp, they were taken with the 17-55mm, the others were taken with the 70-200 sigma, they were moving around, probably should of had the shutter a bit faster, also need practice focusing on moving things

The last one, the b&w one, isnt that sharp, I wasnt ready for it and both of us were moving while I was trying to take it. But I still like the expression on the little ones face

DSC_9672.jpg DSC_9663.jpg

DSC_9640.jpg DSC_9590.jpg

DSC_9809.jpg DSC_9804.jpg

DSC_9845.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I like the first B&W but think it's a little too dark and gives the guy a hangover look... It's only a matter of post processing. I took the liberty to open up the shadows just so you can visualize the difference it could make. I hope you don't mind my edit. If you do, please let me know and I'll edit my post and delete it.

DSC_9672 copy.jpg

fotojack

On the front left side of your camera, do you have a switch that reads M - S - C ? If so, when shooting moving subjects, switch to the C setting (Constant Focus). When shooting static subjects, switch to the S setting (Single Focus). M, of course, would be the Manual Focus setting.

thegaffney

On the front left side of your camera, do you have a switch that reads M - S - C ? If so, when shooting moving subjects, switch to the C setting (Constant Focus). When shooting static subjects, switch to the S setting (Single Focus). M, of course, would be the Manual Focus setting.

Yeah I remembered about changing it after we were done of course, ill have to play with it next time my dogs are outside running around. That is another thing I havent really had a practice with

Rick M

I like them all for various reasons. I think you just need to learn what to expect from the Sigma as far as focus speed and Dof. Trial and error, after a while you'll see a scene and know the exact setting to nail it.

thegaffney

Did another one for another friend. Tried a white backdrop draped over the back of the couch. And their kid about 5 feet in front of it in a little couch covered with a fluffy blanket. One flash was blasting the background, another on in front and a reflector on the other side

Thought it came out pretty neat, Im learning to NOT take a picture until the right moment, before I was just taking shots right and left without any reason

This was at f/8 1/250 and iso 400 with the 70-200mm at 70mm

DSC_0166.jpg