Dead? 5200

wev

Contributor
I was out taking a few snaps today and my camera just froze. I had made a few flower shots, walked to the next and the screen was black. I thought it was an auto-shut down from a spent battery, but when I shut off and put in a fresh one (both Nikon), I still got a black LV screen. I took it inside and hooked it up to power and still nothing. I can see the settings in the view finder, the lens will focus and the shutter fires, but there is nothing recorded on the card. Anyone got an idea or is it got to go in work? It only a few months old and has been working great.

Sandpatch

It's a long shot, but do you have a second card you can throw in there? Interesting that the camera seems to work, other than it doesn't record the images. At least you're still in the warranty period.

wev

Contributor
I have tried several cards -- all used before. I can not test the mirror up, because I have a black LV screen, so can't see if the menu is working or not. I just tried to power up again, and now get a flashing ERR message in the viewfinder, which the manual says means it needs to go in. Crap.

fotojack

Yeah, that sounds like it's the electronics or a software glitch. Road trip for your camera! Send it in...get it fixed...or even better...replaced.

wev

Contributor
I have a little Lumix FS7 I keep in the kit just for emergencies -- takes quite good pictures, too. I don't do Christmas anyway, so no worries (or D800E's) there.

wev

Contributor
Just realized I hit the wrong forum and posted this to 5300 instead of 52. Sorry and hopefully one of the admin can move it.

wev

Contributor
The body is on its way back to Nikon: return eta 30 December -- it's been nine hours and I'm shaking already.

wev

Contributor
Well, I just heard from Nikon -- camera is a goner and I get a new one at Best Buy this morning. Now I have to decide -- do I give up the lens kit and just get the 5300 body alone (the swap price is the same). I could live without the 18-55, though I like it, so the question is, is the 53 that much better and is my protection plan transferable? Have to wait and see what the geeks have to say.

Well, I just heard from Nikon -- camera is a goner and I get a new one at Best Buy this morning. Now I have to decide -- do I give up the lens kit and just get the 5300 body alone (the swap price is the same). I could live without the 18-55, though I like it, so the question is, is the 53 that much better and is my protection plan transferable? Have to wait and see what the geeks have to say.

Would depend on what other lenses you already have and if the protection plan will swap over.

This is interesting
Nikon D5200 vs D5300 - Our Analysis

the D5200 won

wev

Contributor
And that's what I decided --- stick with the 5200 kit. Better and better, it was classed as a manufacturer's defect, so I got my geek protection credited back and by taking it as a gift card, rather than a straight swap, I could buy it immediately at the new sale price, so ended up $65 ahead with a new camera.

And that's what I decided --- stick with the 5200 kit. Better and better, it was classed as a manufacturer's defect, so I got my geek protection credited back and by taking it as a gift card, rather than a straight swap, I could buy it immediately at the new sale price, so ended up $65 ahead with a new camera.

I have always been happy with BestBuy. I have bought a number of things (Mostly Computers and computer equipment) and have problems with a few of them including my D3100, and they have always replaced them with no questions. I think that might also vary with the store location.

wev

Contributor
I agree, the service was great -- just wish the stock on the shelves wasn't so skimpy and more consistent store to store, but the company has gotten pretty beat up from the web and hasn't adapted well.