Pictures print darker than they appear on LCD screen

larnie

Hi
I'm new to photography & the D3200. Have noticed that when reviewing pictures in playback mode they appear brighter on the lcd screen than on computer monitor or when printed. Also when taking the same picture as a few other people - different cameras but identical settings - the colours seem "off" a bit yellowish / greenish tinge.
Could this be a problem with the screen or do some settings have to be changed
Really grateful for any ideas
​Ian

Scott Murray

Calibrate your screen, the colour variation could be white balance issues. Try using Auto WB and see what that gives. Also what cameras are your friends using as some favour certain colours.

WayneF

The cameras (including D3200) have a Monitor Brightness setting (in the Setup menu). Most are too bright, and should be turned down a little. This is true of most desktop monitors too, a little too bright by default (unless calibrated). It should look better turned down a bit. You can adjust the LCDs to match (printer is something else, depends on printer and inks and esp paper).

Colors... which is White Balance, is a general issue. It is rarely ever exactly correct. When you know it is bright sunshine, you might set Daylight WB instead of Auto. Same with Incandescent, you might set Incandescent WB instead of Auto. But the ambient color of the light still varies a bit, and the trick we learn is how to better deal with White Balance. It is rarely exactly correct.
Here is one general approach White Balance Correction, with or without Raw

Last edited:

larnie

Thanks.
​I have been shooting mostly in M mode. Auto WB is set as default. The other cameras are either canon or Nikon D600

larnie

Hi. No I was referring to the camera screen.
​Computer monitor & prints of pictures taken have similar results - considerably darker than what shows on my camera screen in playback

WayneF

Turn the camera LCD brightness down a bit, so you can better predict how it will show up at home. Most all of them need to be turned down a bit.

larnie

Actually I was referring to the screen on rear of camera in my original post.
And I hate to admit it but my computer monitor is NOT LCD but a pretty ancient 17 inch CRT monitor :nonchalance:
​Sorry to whoever lost the bet...

fotojack

Some of the newer monitors are LED now, which would give a different colour rendition than the LCD screens. CRT screens don't usually display "true" colours, so that might be your biggest problem right there.

WayneF

Actually I was referring to the screen on rear of camera in my original post.
And I hate to admit it but my computer monitor is NOT LCD but a pretty ancient 17 inch CRT monitor :nonchalance:
​Sorry to whoever lost the bet...

That would be me then. :) A old CRT won't be too bright. They dim with years of use, and have to be turned up all the way. But a new LED replacement likely is too bright, with the settings out of the box.

Rick M

Generally I find printed images slightly darker no matter what I view them on, I've had about 500 images printed in the past 3 months for my shows. I think it has to do with several factors. The monitor type and brightness has an impact, also I find the angle you are viewing is important, you need to be exactly perpendicular to the screen when processing. Paper has brightness also (or a lack of), generally I process my images slightly brighter to accommodate for printing. What looks great on a monitor is just a tad duller on paper.

larnie

Back again with the same problem. Will try & clarify.
I am using D3200 took the same picture as someone using a Canon - all settings were identical - focal length shutterspeed aperture &white balance (cloudy).
When examining the review picture on the camera itself, my camera showed a picture that was far yellower in color than his. This happens consistently with my review pictures showing a yellowish tinge. When the same picture is viewed on a computer monitor this yellowish tinge does not show up.
Could this be a problem with the actual screen on the camera or is this again something that can be adjusted using settings - my (limited) understanding is that changing the settings will change how the picture will be seen no matter what the media , and not only on the camera review screen.
Any ideas / help or should I just take the camera into the store where it was bought to get it "fixed".
Thanks.
​Ian