Rwanda.

Scott Murray

Rwanda was the first stop on my African trip, Kigali was our base. I have not posted these before as at the time it was hard to process but is something that needs to be shared.
While traveling through Rwanda you get the feel of togetherness, and I guess after all they have been through this is very applicable.

Edit for those that do not know about "The Genocide"

The Rwandan Genocide was a genocidal mass slaughter of ethnic Tutsis by ethnic Hutus that took place in 1994 in the East African state of Rwanda. Over the course of approximately 100 days (from the assassination of Juvénal Habyarimana and Cyprien Ntaryamira on April 6 through mid-July) over 500,000 people were killed, according to a Human Rights Watch estimate.[SUP] [/SUP]Estimates of the death toll have ranged from 500,000–1,000,000,[SUP][/SUP]or as much as 20% of the country's total population. It was the culmination of longstanding ethnic competition and tensions between the minority Tutsi, who had controlled power for centuries, and the majority Hutu peoples, who had come to power in the rebellion of 1959–62.[SUP][/SUP]

In 1990, the Rwandan Patriotic Front, a rebel group composed mostly of Tutsi refugees, invaded northern Rwanda from Uganda in an attempt to defeat the Hutu-led government. They began the Rwandan Civil War, fought between the Hutu regime, with support from Francophone Africa and France,[SUP] [/SUP][SUP][/SUP]and the RPF, with support from Uganda. This exacerbated ethnic tensions in the country. In response, many Hutu gravitated toward the Hutu Power ideology, with the prompting of state-controlled and independent Rwandan media.

As an ideology, Hutu Power asserted that the Tutsi intended to enslave the Hutu and must be resisted at all costs. Continuing ethnic strife resulted in the rebels' displacing large numbers of Hutu in the north, plus periodic localized Hutu killings of Tutsi in the south. International pressure on the Hutu-led government of Juvénal Habyarimana resulted in a cease-fire in 1993. He planned to implement the Arusha Accords.
The assassination of Habyarimana in April 1994 set off a violent reaction, during which Hutu groups conducted mass killings of Tutsis (and also pro-peace Hutus, who were portrayed as "traitors" and "collaborators"). This genocide had been planned by members of the Hutu power group known as the Akazu, many of whom occupied positions at top levels of the national government; the genocide was supported and coordinated by the national government as well as by local military and civil officials and mass media. Alongside the military, primary responsibility for the killings themselves rests with two Hutu militias that had been organized for this purpose by political parties: the Interahamwe and Impuzamugambi, although once the genocide was underway a great number of Hutu civilians took part in the murders. With the peace agreement ended, the Tutsi RPF restarted their offensive, defeating the army and seizing control of the country.

DSC_6709.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Murray

But after fully understanding all that they had been through and the lives that were lost through what is called the "Genocide" I came to realize that it is a city and country that has come together under extreme circumstances and triumphed over great adversities and disasters.

What you see here are mass graves.

DSC_6714.jpg

Krs_2007

Thanks for sharing and adding what each picture represented. I hope to get there one day. It's really hard to understand why humans do this.

Lawrence

Very interesting. Africa should have been left to the Africans. As whites we still have very little understanding of their culture.
I was born and raised in Rhodesia and they had a system that worked for them based on tradition. "Democracy" has ruined that and replaced respected elders, village heads and chiefs with the guy with the biggest army.

Thanks for sharing these Scott - very chilling.