Nature Macro and tripods/monopods

Scott Murray

Hey guys as you all may know that I bought a new monopod to try out for my macro photography, I thought it could suit me well when photographing 5mm spiders etc. How wrong i was, it takes so much more time even with a monopod to get it at the right height so that when you lean in the spider or what ever you are trying to photograph is within frame that it takes you 10 times as long. If the bug is patient then yes it will work but in my experience handholding with a diffused flash or great natural light is way better then a mono or even tripod. If I tried using a mono or tri on most of my bug shots I would have nothing to show you guys and gals. It all comes down to technique... The better the technique the better the shot.

wev

Contributor
I use a mono when out shooting plants and flowers for my CA native database -- very handy on rough terrain or when you have to hang on to a tree limb with the left hand. The subjects, however, seldom take flight or scurry under a rock; when I take a break and look for bugs or birds, I swivel the collapsed stick to nearly 90° up and 20° right so it tucks under my arm. With the ball head barely tight, I get a good brace and free movement of the camera. Works for me, but then my shots aren't nearly as good as yours.

Scott Murray

I use a mono when out shooting plants and flowers for my CA native database -- very handy on rough terrain or when you have to hang on to a tree limb with the left hand. The subjects, however, seldom take flight or scurry under a rock; when I take a break and look for bugs or birds, I swivel the collapsed stick to nearly 90° up and 20° right so it tucks under my arm. With the ball head barely tight, I get a good brace and free movement of the camera. Works for me, but then my shots aren't nearly as good as yours.

Yeah I tried various techniques and felt held back all the time, as it is with the diffuser and the fact I am cm's close to my subjects it doesn't give me much room for error. Even though I think I am moving alot when taking a photo I must be pretty still. But I also have to stop holding my breathe lol. By the way your shots are great.

Mfrankfort

I got a Dolica at Costco for around 80. You can invert the center piece and get literally right at the ground, and it gets pretty low with the adjustable legs. I don't do a whole lot of macro, but I love the tripod.

Scott Murray

I got a Dolica at Costco for around 80. You can invert the center piece and get literally right at the ground, and it gets pretty low with the adjustable legs. I don't do a whole lot of macro, but I love the tripod.

Yep no go, last spider shot I was lying on my back looking up and to the left.

wornish

The little critters won't stay still long enough I agree. I tried it using my tripod this summer on butterflies but gave up and switched to just hand held in good light.
Your insect shots are definitely 1st class so stick with what works for you.

Scott Murray

The little critters won't stay still long enough I agree. I tried it using my tripod this summer on butterflies but gave up and switched to just hand held in good light.
Your insect shots are definitely 1st class so stick with what works for you.

They are all flukes ;)

dutchie

not to hijack this post but I am 6'2" and looking at a dolica 60" tripod figure it would be a good investment for macro.
Dolica GX600B200 Proline GX Series
for $45 I cant really go wrong.
may be a little short for me while doing portrait or anything standing up.
Main use would be macro.
any input?
.....on a budget....Dutchie.
:)

Last edited:

Scott Murray

Scott Could you tell a newbie what sorts of techniques you would choose?

Sorry just catching up on missed posts and just found this.

Pull your elbows in to your body and exhale completely before depressing the shutter. When you’re working with a wide aperture or low shutter speed (or both), even a breath can introduce shake (I have a habit of holding my breathe). Pulling your elbows tight to your body can really help keep you steady. I also press my elbows firmly into my chest for even greater stability.

You can create your own tripod by resting your elbow on your knee while in a seated position. Again, bring that other elbow in for greater support.

Lie flat on the ground resting the lens on your flat hand or fist (for height).

I mostly use Manual focus if the object is not flying, if its flying I switch to Auto focus. When Manually focusing I zoom by moving in and out with my body. This takes patience and a steady trigger finger.

Ironwood

If I use the R1C1 with a D7100 how fast a shutter speed can I use on bugs?

The D7100 can be set up to 1/320th with your flash.
I am not very familiar with the R1C1, but I dont think it has HSS, if it did that would raise the bar with your shutter speed.