Using with a Sunpak Auto 622?

Rossie

I have an old flash (as in the title) with a canon module (CA-1D) that I used to use with my T90 - does anyone know if I can get a module to use with my D200 and if so, which one please? Thanks!

WayneF

Ebay? Maybe for Nikon, but not for D200.

I am not familiar with the flash, but age makes it be a given that any TTL module will be for film TTL, and not for Nikons digital iTTL today (that the D200 uses). So since only Manual flash mode can be possible with it today, my thinking is the present Canon module will work as well as any, in that it would not even be used, and instead a simple PC sync cord between flash and camera will do all that can be done (manual flash mode). Manual flash should work fine using a PC sync cord (no other electrical connection - same as any off-camera use).

If the PC sync connector on the flash looks just like the PC sync connector on the D200, then what you want is a "PC Male to PC Male" sync cord. This would be the normal and expected case, but other connector types are possible. Again, it will be Manual flash mode only.

For example, like one of these cords . PC Male to PC Female is an extension cord for these.

Last edited:

Rossie

Thanks Wayne - I don't care how it will work, as long as I can make it do so as it is a great flash. It's the one with inter-changeable heads and cost a fortune all those years ago. It has a multi-pinned square plug that goes to the gun and the other end is wired in to the module holder so not sure if just using a normal cable will work - suppose it'd better just try it and see! Better read the manual, I guess! Being ancient, will not have any references to digital though.

WayneF

It was indeed a pretty fancy flash, but digital has changed how TTL has to work. Digital has obsoleted all the old film TTL gear. But these can still work today, as always, if in Manual flash mode. It is just TTL that changed. Manual is not automatic flash, we have to control the flash power level ourselves, but this is pretty easy for one flash.

And the descriptions I see say this flash also has a PC sync connector, like the D200 has on its left front corner. That is one way that flashes are used off camera, with a PC sync cord. It can still work that way now, with the D200, even it if it is mounted only a inch or two off camera. It must be in Manual flash mode however.

The manual is at http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sunpak_auto622_pro.pdf

Page 8 item 9 shows what it calls the PC connector. Can't really see it, but the picture looks more like a "household" connector at the the flash end, so I'm not sure about the cable. It may use a "household to PC" sync cable? Household connector is like on any table lamp, connector sometimes used at the flash end of sync cables, with PC on the camera end.

Last edited:

Rossie

Yep, after a bit of digging in the bottom of the old camera bag, found the PC cable. Just going to double check it won't blow up my beloved D200 before I connect them and see if I can get it to work. Have been reading the manual and refreshing my memory on how to use it - it was very clever with it's dedicated module for the canon but need to read the manual operation section now instead of letting it do all the work for me (assuming it works).