Want to buy a new camera. Please suggest

Amit Nag

I am pretty much new to photography. I want to buy a camera with in Rs 22k($340). I have chosen one of NIKON L820 but the problem is it has no viewfinder. I returned from the shop because of this.
cheesy.gif

Please suggest me any good featured camera with viewfinder. My personal preference is Nikon but if any other is there in market it's also welcome.

I am not a professional but want to click some moments. Please suggest

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I am pretty much new to photography. I want to buy a camera with in 22k. I have chosen one of NIKON L820 but the problem is it has no viewfinder. I returned from the shop because of this.
cheesy.gif

Please suggest me any good featured camera with viewfinder. My personal preference is Nikon but if any other is there in market it's also welcome.

I am not a professional but want to click some moments. Please suggest

How much is your budget in USD? What would you like to shoot?

Sent from my iPhone.

weebee

You can get a used D3100 for around that much. Go on e-bay or amazon and be patient. I have the L820 and didn't like the fact that it didn't have a view finder either. But, thanks to this site I learned that there is an adaptor you can buy to turn the lcd screen into a view finder. I'm getting one soon.

Amit Nag

My budget would be around $340-$350. This will be my first camera and I just want to take some casual photos like going for a trip or family marriage ceremony or some party or nature just like this.. Please suggest ..

That budget is going to really limit you in what you can get. I think you would be well served with the first camera you bought. You can get used to the limitation of no viewfinder. The LCD screen will work for you. If you get a DSLR (one with a viewfinder) you are going to be very limited with zoom capability since you will have to buy additional lenses to get the reach you had with the 820 to begin with.

Amit Nag

okk.. Now I hv to think of does a viewfinder really matter? Is there any difference what I will be seeing in LCD with viewfinder with 30X zoom?

Bill16

This is a very tuff question. If you seriously looking into learning to become a photographer, then a DSLR is the way to go, and the D3100 is the cheapest Nikon that is current that I know of. But there are older Nikon DSLRs like the D100 that can be bought for about $150.00 on eBay. They are older with less MPs but would still work fine to learn with while you save for a newer model. And there are less expensive lenses you can buy as you can, and buy one now and then when you have some money. :)

But if you just wanting to take some snapshots now and then, then a point and shoot style of camera will work with much better results in your current budget. I don't have much knowledge about this style of camera, so others could advise you much better than I can.

Last edited:

Scott Murray

okk.. Now I hv to think of does a viewfinder really matter? Is there any difference what I will be seeing in LCD with viewfinder with 30X zoom?

Well if you get a camera with 30x zoom then thats what you get, but if you buy a DSLR that allows you to buy and adapt the lenses that you need then you are off to a great start. As with any zoom point and shoot you will always be wanting for more.

weebee

Having a camera without a view finder on a sunny day is murder unless you get the adapter I spoke of.

Bill16

PS. I do hope that someday you'll be able to get into photography enough that you decide to get a DSLR , but I can sure understand just wanting to take photos without spending a fortune! Lol :D
Anyway I think I would go with weebee's suggestion if I was buying a point and shoot type camera. I have a terrible time seeing the LCD screen outside! Lol :)

Please come back let us know what you decide to get, and how your liking it! :D