High School Cricket

Brandonberg

I took some photos of my brother batting during his cricket match today. My first real attempt at any sort of sports photography.

All shots were handheld taken on a D7100 with a DX 55-300 with VR ON.

Let me know what you think!

- Brandon

DSC_4271.jpg
ISO400 f/5.6 1/1600 260mm

DSC_4273.jpg
ISO400 f/5.3 1/1600 240mm

DSC_4299.jpg
ISO400 f/5.0 1/2000 180mm

DSC_4307.jpg
ISO200 f/5.6 1/800 300mm

DSC_4323.jpg
​ISO200 f/5.6 1/640 300mm

DSC_4340.jpg
ISO200 f/5.6 1/800 300mm

Last edited:

Scott Murray

They are nice shots but I think they could all be brightened up slightly. And maybe some different crops where they aren't too central ;)

dramtastic

VR is of no use at those shutter speeds. As for the brightness, you can fix that with some post or if the light was bad, as in overcast, you can also up the ISO. Your D7100 can handle it no problem.

Brandonberg

Thanks all for the input.

They are nice shots but I think they could all be brightened up slightly. And maybe some different crops where they aren't too central ;)

What method would be the best for brightening images in Lightroom 5? Would it be as simple as bumping the exposure up slightly? I have been playing around boosting the shadow detail which also helped a little bit. I tried to crop off centre but most of the shots were zoomed in too far to allow successful cropping. I was afraid that i would miss the action if i was zoomed out too far. I guess i need to have more faith in my sensor as the D7100 does have good resolution.

VR is of no use at those shutter speeds. As for the brightness, you can fix that with some post or if the light was bad, as in overcast, you can also up the ISO. Your D7100 can handle it no problem.

I did read online that any quicker than 1/500 basically negates any use for VR. What would be the disadvantage to leaving it on though? Could it have an adverse effect on sharpness/IQ?

Krs_2007

You can adjust in LR. Leaving it on is reported to have an impact on the image IQ, so I leave mine off unless I really need it. There are both sides of this but I dont have any links that you can read. I just find it easier to remember to turn it on instead of off.

dramtastic

VR IMO is overrated and is a nice way for the manufacturers to ramp up their prices. Why do I say this? Because I have two lenses that have no VR/OS and one that does. I shoot hand held 95% of the time and see no difference in IQ at slower shutter speeds between the one with OS(VR) and the one's that don't. Maybe if I go down to 1/60th there would be a reduced tendency for camera shake blur but at those speeds I usually have the camera mounted on a tripod anyway. One of my lenses weighs 1.5kgs so all up on the body about 2.2kgs. I shoot hand held at 1//125th no problem. It doesn't even cross my mind to wish I had VR.
The other reason I think VR is mostly a money making marketing tool is the fact that Pentax has shown that you can have in body VR. You wouldn't have to spend all the extra cash on VR lenses if Nikon and Canon did the same, but they don't want that.

joenmina1

Nice shots! Try shooting in CH and pop off 3 to 4 shots in a row and you will have one or two very sharp shots. Also, as others have said, bump up your ISO and keep your shutter speed above 1/1000.