Gordon Laings Nikon D610 Review ans Comparison to the D7100

Moab Man

This was a very good read. There was one point that I found particularly interesting. The tester put the better quality glass on the D7100 and noticed the jump in performance on the D7100 using the better glass.

Disclaimer: The skill of the photographer is acknowledged and assumed in my continued post below.

Reason I found this interesting is I know a full time professional photographer that has done very well and is in demand flying around the world. I spent time learning under him and we were having a conversation a long time ago and I had commented about how I really really wanted to go to full frame so that eventually I could (with the aforementioned acquired skills needed) create pictures that looked as good as his. He chuckled and explained to me that he is shooting a crop sensor himself. Now I really started to dig deep as to how his images were so spectacular. That was when I first learned how much the glass truly matters and mastering photo editing.

From that day forward, I have no longer been chasing a full frame camera. I don't dispute the qualities of a full sensor, but have learned that there are many other pieces to the equation of a great picture that have far greater weight than having a full sensor.

Great read!

As to the D7100, I believe it is the best bang for buck camera made. I truly feel with the D7100 that I got more camera than what I put out in cash.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

I love my D7100...I have great glass.But there is still this voice in my head on whether or not to get a D610 for the better low light handling(ISO) and for my lens to be the actual focal length they are..I have all primes which I love..Alitte frustrating sometimes not being able to get the right comp in tight spaces...

Rick M

It comes down to what you shoot. The pixel density of the D7100 is great for resolution. For OoF elements and shooting wide, Fx is the way to go.

cadomniel

I think the D7100 should be more than enough for almost anyone :p
And with printed images most people won't be able to discern the difference between shots with the D610 and the D7100. I think going FF is more like a luxury item then a real ncessity to get awesome images and not really required unless you make a living by printing huge landscapes :D

Its always great to get new gear but for me, I'm just going to add the Tamron 70-200/2.8 when I see a deal and stick with the D7100

Moab Man

If... that's an IF, I go FX it will be for the low light capability to shoot Milky Way photos. Otherwise I am quite good with my D7100.

kamaccord

I already got the D7100 last weekend.
It also came with 16-85mm VR. Not sure if I'll keep it but it seems like a nice lens, however I just got the Sigma 17-50/2.8 right before the D7100 deal fell into my lap :p

How is the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8? I have read a lot of positive reviews regarding that lens and have considered purchasing the lens. However, I have never had an opportunity to try the lens on my camera. Every camera shop I have visited in my area did not stock the lens. Because I was not pleased with the quality of the Tameron 7-50mm, I have also been looking into the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8.

cadomniel

I haven't had the chance to go shooting with it extensively yet but it has good build quality and the focus speed is extremely fast. But the only point of reference I have is my D5100 with the kit lens 18-55mm
From the reviews I've read online the Sigma 17-50/2.8 is a bit better than the Tamron. I had the Tameron on my list for awhile and almost got one but read the VC one was not quite as sharp as the non-VC version. Also Sigma as a 77mm filter thread and its nice to have a system with a common filter size.

Tamron 24-70/2.8 would be my first pickup if I ever decided to go fullframe.

beebrasil

I think the D7100 should be more than enough for almost anyone :p
And with printed images most people won't be able to discern the difference between shots with the D610 and the D7100. I think going FF is more like a luxury item then a real ncessity to get awesome images and not really required unless you make a living by printing huge landscapes :D

Its always great to get new gear but for me, I'm just going to add the Tamron 70-200/2.8 when I see a deal and stick with the D7100

I'll tell you my tamaron story, I got the 17-200 about a week ago and after a day of shooting took it back. I could not get a sharp picture from it. The lens was mounted on a tripod and os was off and using studio flash heads with a 200th of a second shutter speed. Even with live view to focus! Not sure if it was one lens or not? I really wanted that lens to work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I think going FF is more like a luxury item then a real ncessity to get awesome images and not really required unless you make a living by printing huge landscapes :D

I think you are missing the other benefits which is the wider field of view. Wider FOV on FX will not resort in looking for an ultra wide angle lenses which are heavily distorted. However, the DX also have good benefits but they offer less benefit for my style .

Sent from my iPhone.