Nidding's lo tech macro learning thread

nidding

Hey guys.
I'm really interested in learning to shoot some great macro shots. I just really like the new perspective you get from looking at stuff up close :)
So far I have burrowed an old micro nikkor 55 mm f/2.8, and plan on buying the older version of the same lens, as I'm not able to put in the cash down for a new lens, and a local guy is selling on for cheap :)
Being a student I don't have a lot of money, and am not able to get the newest, fanciest stuff. So what I want to do, it to try and get some tips from you guys, about making the best out of a very little gear.

Enough with the jabbing...
I have tried a few times to get some shots, but am struggling a bit with sharpnes and light. These shots were done with a sb-24, bounced off a white wall.

I can't seem to get them sharper in the view finder, so what can I do to get them sharper?
DSC_0679.jpg

DSC_0680.jpg

DSC_0682.jpg

Also, general guidance will be more than welcommed :)

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

I can't seem to get them sharper in the view finder, so what can I do to get them sharper?

Sharper, as in IQ, or sharper as in more DOF?

IQ is a function of the lens. Other than determining the sharpest aperture to shoot at, the IQ won't get any better.

DOF (or rather, the lack of it) is a huge problem when shooting macros. Intuition tells you to stop the lens down to minimum, but then shutter speed might become an issue, as well as diffraction. Learning to focus stack might help.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You will have to sharpen your digital file in post processing. Beware though as too much can be sometimes worse than not enough.
The actual light can also affect the sharpness. The more diffused light will not emphasize the details as much as a direct light. I'd suggest you use your flash with a diffuser closer to the object you are trying to picture.

As with everything, you've got to give yourself time to practice and learn. I could write for hours but you will learn a lot more when you fail and persevere to finally get your results the way you want them.

​Best of luck learning. Enjoy your Nikon

nidding

Thanks for the good advice. I'll try it out as soon as I have the time to mess about.

Sharper, as in IQ, or sharper as in more DOF?

IQ is a function of the lens. Other than determining the sharpest aperture to shoot at, the IQ won't get any better.

DOF (or rather, the lack of it) is a huge problem when shooting macros. Intuition tells you to stop the lens down to minimum, but then shutter speed might become an issue, as well as diffraction. Learning to focus stack might help.
It might actually be a bit of both. First of all, I feel like I'm not getting the focus 100%. Could be DOF or could be the lens. The shots above were stepped down a couple of steps. But maybe stepping it down a few more and using a more direct flash could be a way to go.

More light, and photo-stacking.
I have been looking a little bit into stacking. However I'm using linux and haven't found a good program to do it yet. Still looking though :)

You will have to sharpen your digital file in post processing. Beware though as too much can be sometimes worse than not enough.
The actual light can also affect the sharpness. The more diffused light will not emphasize the details as much as a direct light. I'd suggest you use your flash with a diffuser closer to the object you are trying to picture.

As with everything, you've got to give yourself time to practice and learn. I could write for hours but you will learn a lot more when you fail and persevere to finally get your results the way you want them.

​Best of luck learning. Enjoy your Nikon
I've tried adding sharpness in darktable, but can't really get the plug in to work. Maybe I should try the equalizer, I've had a little better results with that, so far.
What diffuser would you use on the flash? Just the milky plastic cap to put on top? I haven't got a extension cable for the flash, so It will have to be mounted in the hot shoe. Could that work?

ANd off course you are right with the practice. That's the best way to learn. A few pointer of which roads not to take can be helpful as well :) So thanks again. I'll return when I've tried a few more times :)

Mike D90

Have you adjusted the viewfinder diopter first? If its not clearly dialed in to your eye then you may be getting bad results from that. There is a small rotary dial button next to your viewfinder. Look at a subject and turn the dial until your viewfinder view is sharp. Do this with a normal lens, not your macro.

Your images above have areas that are sharp to me. Looks like DOF is the cause of your blur areas. You also need a lot more light on your subjects.

Last edited:

nidding

Have you adjusted the viewfinder diopter first? If its not clearly dialed in to your eye then you may be getting bad results from that. There is a small rotary dial button next to your viewfinder. Look at a subject and turn the dial until your viewfinder view is sharp. Do this with a normal lens, not your macro.

Your images above have areas that are sharp to me. Looks like DOF is the cause of your blur areas. You also need a lot more light on your subjects.
Yep. I dialled in in as sharp as possible. And yes, in that way it is DOF that's the issue in the above.
I made a few experiments with the flash last night. Pointing it directly at the object gave way too harsh light and some nasty shadows as well. So I tried to use a white paper plate to bounce the flash, pointing 90 degrees to the side, to give more direct-, but still somewhat diffuse light. The result was better, and pretty sharp, but I still had problems with shadows and the colors are also a bit off.