Business insurance/ Camera Insurance

amayhem

Hi all,

So I’ve been shopping around for some business insurance and have been having a hard time finding a broad coverage. I was told that only theft or vandalism would be covered. I was wondering if anyone here knows of a company that would also cover accidental damage. For example if I dropped my camera or the wind took it on a tripod.

WayneF

Home owners policies can add very inexpensive riders which do cover accidents, dropping camera, etc. I pay about $1.20 per $100 covered (annual), and it paid for Nikon repairing a dropped lens.

However, if the gear does any professional work, then home owners covers nothing. It does not cover professional use, so be sure to talk it out with your agent.

Last edited:
Everyone who has homeowners insurance should have this coverage. It is cheep and covers everything. I don't know about renters insurance but they may have that coverage also,

Ruidoso Bill

I just swapped my insurance carrier and for $20,000 equipment coverage it is stated amount (must provide detailed list with serial #'s and cost), no deductible and it covers everything including dropped equipment, my annual premium is $162

WayneF

I always had to schedule my gear (serial numbers, etc), but last time Travelers only wanted a dollar total. No list. I had to ask them a few times if that was correct. I do have to show a purchase receipt with a claim, but it was no issue. I like no list, now I can swap out gear with wild abandon (I don't, but I could :) ). And it seems I can buy gear totaling more than I insure, since not all of it will likely be carried or claimed at one time.

amayhem

My private issuance just wont cover it, and the business side wont either. So they are recommending me to ask a photography club such as this one.
They recommended me to ask what what agencies other photographers might go through for any business photography accidental coverage.

WhiteLight

Anyone by any chance have any idea on policies outside USA?
I can't find a single company that would insure camera gear... well, we don't have anything called home insurance either

amayhem

Thank you so much WJYPHOTO, I have been looking all over with little to no luck. I am going to research PPA. By chance do you use them, or know anyone who does? I'm looking to hear some member feedback and experience.

Dave_W

The Dude
Thank you so much WJYPHOTO, I have been looking all over with little to no luck. I am going to research PPA. By chance do you use them, or know anyone who does? I'm looking to hear some member feedback and experience.

I looked into it and decided against it. The cost of insurance is about 3x that of an addendum on your homeowners policy.

WayneF

I looked into it and decided against it. The cost of insurance is about 3x that of an addendum on your homeowners policy.

That's just how life is. Homeowners will not pay for commercial/professional use, which is higher duty cycle / harder use by definition. But fortunately, it can pay its own way.

Ruidoso Bill

There are additional benefits to the PPA membership, I think I will go that route. I just switched carriers and what I was quoted was incorrect, they had it as an addendum to my homeowners policy which if you are getting paid in any way will not (truthfully) cover the loss of equipment. I like the fact that PPA included insurance covers up to 15K, sounds reasonable to me since it also has some indemnity coverage as well. At this point in my life it is better in my case to be honest and not worry about it.

Another thing I found out is many of the company's have a minimum policy value of $400 which is more than PPA.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

Yes, I use them, haven't been a member for long (just recently joined) but the reviews are good. You should also check for a state associations, both are great for networking.

The actual insurance carrier is Lockton Affinity, they insure organizations from Habitat for Humanity to the NRA.

Last edited: