Lens filters

Nicole Maven

I just got a nikon d3100 a few months ago and I have the 18-55mm lens that came with it and I've been trying to figure out which filters are a must have for my camera? I've been searching and there's juat so many to choose from, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Dave_W

The Dude
I'd hate to interfere with your NAS (Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) but 99% of the time your CP will sit in your bag gathering dust. Save your money and buy a second lens. However, an ND filter can be a lot of fun and very useful, as can a graduated filter system. IMO both of these will be infinitely more useful than a CP filter....but YMMV. :)

fotojack

Use a skylight filter on your lenses when shooting outdoors, but take it off for indoor shots. It would also be in your best interests to use the lens shade on your lenses.

Bob Blaylock

I recommend a basic UV filter, not so much for the filtering effect, but just to have something on the front of your lens to protect it. A scratched or broken filter is cheaper to replace than a scratched or broken lens.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I'd suggest a UV filter (or skylight filter as fotojack mentioned) to protect the lens, a circular polarizer for certain conditions outdoors, a neutral density filter so you can achieve slower shutter speeds (very helpful when the desired effect of waterfalls or other slow moving water images require a smoother, glassy appearance), and also a graduated neutral density filter for the times when the sky would normally come out overexposed (when it is too bright compared with the foreground).

The effects from a lot of other filters such as a warming filter, a tungsten filter, etc. can be achieved in post processing so not all filters are necessary.

Horoscope Fish

Polarizing and and neutral density filters are the only two filters I've ever actually found myself needing or wanting. I actually to use a digital polarizing filter when doing post now, though, so I really don't use that one much any more. When I do, though, I've found great love with this Hoya HRT Polarizer. This was the filter that never came off my lens for a long, long time.

The ND filter finds use when I'm shooting in the desert, or some other insanely bright location, and provides me better control of the depth of field.