Frames

Ruidoso Bill

Has anyone else ever looked into making their own frames. mat cutting etc? I have begun to investigate what equipment I need to do this on a small scale, primarily for my work to help sell a few, I've been told framed photos sell a lot better than just board mounted etc.

Joseph Bautsch

Bill, I do my own mats. I use the Logan Model 103s mat cutter. Reasonably priced at $119.99. But if you have a JoAnn's or a Hobby Lobby, or some other big box craft store, nearby you can always find a coupon for 40%-50% off which makes it a good deal. The mating boards are most always on sale for 40%-50% off making it very reasonable to do your own. I can make a mat with a backer board for $3-$4 where the same one made at a frame shop will cost $21.50. I do these for display and photo competitions. I also looked into doing my own framing but the cost of the equipment to do it right and the few frames I would need didn't make it worth while. I found cutting standard size mats to fit mass produced frames the better way to go. Hope this helps.

Ruidoso Bill

Thanks Joseph, I do enjoy doing a little woodworking. I also seem to be stuck cropping to odd size prints. Actually, what I am thinking about is a high quality manual miter (Sweden makes one) and an Ezy measure system and finally a v joiner. Not a lot of money to invest, just kinda neat to think I can go out to the garage and whip one out as needed. I spent some time in a Hobby Lobby yesterday just thinking/dreaming. Our closest one is 75 miles from home.

Custom frame shop local is very expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:

naja

Bill

I make all my own mounts in UK. I won't tell you the equipment because I don't know if it is available in US, but the cost was much the same as Joseph mentioned. I enjoy it and it does not take that much time. I can also get exactly the mounting I want.

As far as frames go, if the required frame is a standard size, then I buy them from a local hobby Shop (Hobbycraft) as they have a good selection at very reasonable prices. However, I make the mount to suit.

However, if the frame is an odd size (and some of mine can be very odd if they are stitched landscapes), then I make the frame myself as the cost is very very high in UK for bespoke frames, and besides, I enjoy messing about with timber in my shed for a change.

Have fun

Nigel

Ruidoso Bill

Hi Nigel, Much of the tools I looked at were from over there, I'm not sure how ebay from the UK works. I'm not thinking about large scale production, just one here and there for fun.

naja

I don.t make a lot of frames, but I make all my own mounts as it is much cheaper, I get what I want and it does not take much time once you get the hang of it.

I use a FrameCo Mat Master 021. One really big tip to save domestic strife, get either a really thick piece of cardboard to go under the board you are cutting, or get a cutting mat. It saves cut marks in the table!!!!