D7100 Question regarding lenses

06Honda

I currently use the older 80-400VR with decent results on a D50 body. Would this lense need any fine tuning adjustments on a new D7100 body or would a better lense ie: F4 or F2.8 be required to work with this high tech camera.

BackdoorArts

I see no reason why that lens wouldn't work just fine on the D7100. A brighter lens isn't necessary as the D7100 should meter just fine with the lens, and it's high ISO performance should be head and shoulders above the D50, so if you need to shoot in low light it will be a better performer with the same lens. I've always been of the belief that a "better lens" is only necessary after you specifically identify shortcomings with your current equipment.

People have criticized me for using my 24-85mm kit lens on my D800, using all sorts of ridiculous automobile analogies. But the truth is I don't feel the photos taken with that pairing are want of anything, or could be improved if I happened to have a 24-70mm f2.8 on it. Certainly there are specific aspects of certain types of photos that would be improved with that lens, but as a percentage of my total shots I can't possibly justify the cost of the "holy trinity" lens. In fact, I opted instead for a 24-120mm f4 because it bought me reach that I didn't have, something I'd lose with the 24-70mm.

I suspect the only "fine tuning" your lens might need has to do with focus tuning, which you should probably do with all lenses anyway - even the magical ones. ;)

Millie

Banned
I just bought two D7100 and was forced to replace my 18-200 and 18-250 sigmas with 18-140 Nikons because the sigmas dont work right with the 7100.( prevew display problems cutting battery life to 1/3 normal) The sigmas had -10 focus tune and the Nikons +12 so yes worth setting the back focus.
The nikons give a far superior picture ..under test the sigmas dont exceed 1500 lines and the Nikons are 2500 and it shows.....