Dead Sea Sunset

Dimson

First field test for my newly acquired D800. A serene sunset at the Dead Sea, Israel

Nikon D800 + Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8
Fotodiox Wonderpana 66 System - 0.9 GND
1/6sec @ f/16, ISO100

_AR84657_500px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan

Wow!

Top tip: when you upload a picture, and before you confirm your post, if you double-click on the image a properties box appears asking you, amongst other things, what size you want your picture to appear. The default is thumbnail. I found that out yesterday thanks to another's tip.

Dimson

Jonathan - thanks for the tip
Don - thanks for the fix
Everyone - thank you for your comments

the DR on this camera is mindblowing, i could not believe the amount of details i was able to pull from a single file with no effort

Dave_W

The Dude
So you have a filter system for your 14-24mm? I've contemplated getting one for my lens but the sticker shock always seems to get in my way. How do you like your system? Does it have any issues with light leaking due to the curvature of the lens?

Dimson

Well, before i got the 14-24, i was using the Lee foundation kit, so if you compare the 2, the Fotodiox is a much larger, bulkier and clumsier solution, but i guess thats what it takes. the build quality is top notch, but I've been disappointed with the quality of Fotodiox ND/CPL filters, or all of their 145mm threaded filters for that matter. they are not multicoated and when shooting into the sun, they will cause reflections and flare like nothing you've ever experienced before. In certain conditions they might cause light leaks in the corners too, but that can be fixed with relative ease in post

i was told by their support they are working on the multicoated versions of the filters, i hope they come up with the solution really soon.

I know several photographers who use Lucroit system on their 14-24, but i've been burned by Hitech QC before, so i went with Fotodiox this time. Hitech do make GND filters in sizes compatible with Fotodiox though

I'm working on a very extensive review for this system which should be publishes at my website when it's done, might take me a while though