Anyone got some guidlines for good HDR?

Watoh

I thought i would try my hand at some HDR.

Wow, its a lot more difficult than i imagined. We just had a beautiful deep red sky sunset and thought is would make a good subject for HDR. But my results were awful. I suspect the lighting and subject was 1/2 the problem. The other half being the setting is photoshop cs6. ( I have the Lynda.com course One on One that covers HDR in CS6 )

Can anyone give me some guidelines on what makes a good shot to practice my HDR techniques?

Thanks for any help.

Jonathan

Can you post your awful result? I'm interested in HDR but I am at the very start if just thinking abiout it. I want to nail stacking first (and I've only just found out they are different things!).

Watoh

Can you post your awful result? I'm interested in HDR but I am at the very start if just thinking abiout it. I want to nail stacking first (and I've only just found out they are different things!).

I didn't even bother saving my 1st two attempts! I'll have another go a post em up! :)

DraganDL

For the start, you should try to compare the results between the photos taken by the "in-camera" HDR mode and the photo that you get by manually stacking two, three or more photos taken with different exposure values. When you do it manually, try to apply different EV settings (-/+ 1,3 to 1,0) between the subsequent shots. That should do the trick...

BackdoorArts

Were you shooting on a tripod? What was your bracket settings? How many shots? Post the unmerged shots and perhaps we can see something there. If you're not on a tripod then, in my experience at least, the merge that PS does isn't the best and you're better served by an HDR-specific piece of software like Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 or Photomatix.

Dave_W

The Dude
The key to good HDR images is to not overcook them. HDR images should not look like something from a bad dream or a post apocalyptic landscape. Go gentle on your blending and make the image look realistic. I like to use 7 exposures at 1 stop differentials and compile them using Nik HDR pro 2.

FastGlass

The 2 biggest need to do's are #1 tripod. Gotta have the camera on a tripod. All the shots you plan to converge should all be the exact same shot but diff exposures. #2 have at least 3 exposures. One exposing the mid tones, one exposing the highlights and one exposing the shadows.

Rick M

Not everything will be a good candidate for HDR. Skies are always a challenge, rusty old objects are great. Anything with detail in shadows. Try to stay away from extreme highlights.

Watoh

Thank you everyone...

I think i made a few critical mistakes..

Most importantly.. the general scene was far too low light. Which contributed to too much noise.

I did use a tri-pod but in my haste to catch a dramatic sky left my remote cable behind, so i ended up with a little shake in a couple of them. But even picking the ones where this was not apparent did not improve things much.

I took shots both via bracketing mode with 1stop between them and I took some manually.

My subject & lighting conditions were just awful for HDR. Here is an example:
emuf.jpg

Looking back it this and seeing the advice here and elsewhere i probably could not have picked a worse scene for HDR. The detail of the tree in low light with the sky behind....not good.... A great way to learn is to start at the bottom! :eek:

I was hoping to get a picture of a deep red sky with the detail of the graveyard in the foreground...

Last edited:

Davidj

Thank you everyone...I think i made a few critical mistakes..Most importantly.. the general scene was far too low light. Which contributed to too much noise.I did use a tri-pod but in my haste to catch a dramatic sky left my remote cable behind, so i ended up with a little shake in a couple of them. But even picking the ones where this was not apparent did not improve things much.I took shots both via bracketing mode with 1stop between them and I took some manually.My subject & lighting conditions were just awful for HDR. Here is an example:
emuf.jpg
Looking back it this and seeing the advice here and elsewhere i probably could not have picked a worse scene for HDR. The detail of the tree in low light with the sky behind....not good.... A great way to learn is to start at the bottom! :eek:HiI was hoping to get a picture of a deep red sky with the detail of the graveyard in the foreground...
I've just joined the forum. Looks like i'm a little late in replying... How are you getting on with HDR now?

Watoh

I've just joined the forum. Looks like i'm a little late in replying... How are you getting on with HDR now?

Hi,

To be honest i haven't really had a chance to try again. A mixture between busy with work & family and the horrible grey weather we have been experiencing over this winter. Grey dull days does not inspire HDR!

But also love to hear tips & advice!

Thanks.

Davidj

I see, you may not have compensated enough for the dynamic range of the scene. The cross and the vegetation are underexposed. I think this would have been a good candidate for HDR however - beautiful sky.

What software are you using?

Vixen

Don't be put off by dull days. It's a case of picking the correct subject as much as the process. Things that make good subjects are old rusty stuff, old buildings, timber, landscapes, stormy skies, & water can also be good.

What DOESN'T work so well is clear blue skies, uniform grey skies and silouette sunsets (Unless you are really good at masking layers).

It's personal preference as to how many images you use. 3 or 5 seems to be the norm. I don't really think you get a better image by using large numbers of images. You need to get the first shot nicely exposed but it isn't the end of the earth if it isn't. You can create a shot by adding or decreasing exposure in editing software.

It's also personal preference as to what software you use but Photomatix and Nik HDREfex are probably the most used. There are others tho.

Also you do NOT need a tripod in normal shooting conditions. Yes, if light is low but if light is OK you can handhold for bracketed shots. If you are having to make any camera adjustments to get those shots then you need the tripod because you cannot guarantee you will get the exact same scene composure.

I would say 50% or more of my HDR is handheld, and I do a LOT of it :D As with everything it's a case of getting out and doing it often enough to get good at it