How to get started?

drummerJ99

Hey guys. Always been a big fan of photography and wife and I was in market for new camera. While I've always wanted a DSLR, the wife vetoed that. Lol we decided on a L820. Is that a decent starter camera? It seemed to have great reviews online. And so far we are both impressed with photos it takes. Still learning all the settings.

My main question is, if this is a decent starter, is there any tips you guys recommend to get started? Is it alot of trial and error? What percentage of good photography is photo editing skills? Is it possible to take good photos without a DSLR?

Thanks in Advance,
Jeffrey

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Any camera is a great starting point. No camera, no learning. I think you've said it right when you wrote that it's a lot of trial and error. Take pictures with your present camera and when you find you're no longer happy with it, see if getting a better camera would help or if you could read and learn about composition and how to use light to produce better pictures.

I tend to think that composition, subject choice and light make for 95% of the quality of a picture. Even if you'd have the best camera and lens combination in the world, if the subject you try to picture is not well framed or badly lit, you won't have a good picture.

Although technique is an important part of photography, critical eye and the ability to see how light is caught by a camera's sensor makes for the best results.

​Welcome to Nikonites and all the best in your learning journey.

mguffin

My main question is, if this is a decent starter, is there any tips you guys recommend to get started? Is it alot of trial and error? What percentage of good photography is photo editing skills? Is it possible to take good photos without a DSLR?

Your 4 questions:
1. Get this book. Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books
2. Yes.
3. As much as you want. Editing is not required for good photos.
4. Yes, definitely.

Vincent

Is there any tips you guys recommend to get started?

You learn by taking pictures, go out there and do photography.

Is it alot of trial and error?

It depends on the subject, but if you hear professionals speak, most of them do not use 80% of their shots. So it is not only try and error, it will be most error for ever.

What percentage of good photography is photo editing skills?

You can recuperate some pictures through photo editing, however you need the picture first. With digital it is sometimes interesting to take a RAW picture that does not look very good to start with since you can edit it more (it has more information). It is clear that Raw and good editing gives a lot better results, just like with film the right development technique did.

Is it possible to take good photos without a DSLR?

Look at youtube, Pro Photographer, Cheap Camera Challenge there is something in the setting, the patience, knowing the limits of the material and seeing the scene before taking the picture, something a camera will never compensate. The photographer can do a lot, with any material.

drummerJ99

First, sorry for late response. Been super busy with holiday. Thanks for book suggestion. Been reading it nonstop. Unfortunately L820 really has very few manual options. So my next set of questions. Am I better of taking this back or selling it and getting used lower end DSLR, like D70 (which I can find used and with a lens or two for about same price I spent on L820 [$199]) or am I better sticking with L820. In terms of photography, how important is megapixels? Is my 16.0MP L820 better then a 6.1MP D70? I know cellphone makers push MP but didn't know if it was really as important as they say. LOL

Jonathan

Welcome. My penny's worth is that as a starter, getting bogged down in high-end specs is a complete waste of time (I liken it to the complexity of a graphic equaliser versus the simplicity of treble and bass dials). It doesn't matter how crisp the photograph is if the subject/composition is a load of cr@p.

I began many years ago with a cheap instamatic and eventually moved to an Olympus SLR (which I loved with a passion). I got back into photography after a 10 year gap whilst my children grew up. Over time I have upgraded as I have become more knowledgeable (not necessarily better!) and also become frustrated by the limitations imposed by my then camera and associated kit. I started by digging out my trusty old Olympus but was shocked by the quality of my output when compared to my children's output on our family Lumix. So, my first minor foray into digital was that superb Panasonic Lumix compact camera some five years ago to record the family growing up. I made a conscious effort to into DSLR and, after careful research, splashed out on a D3100 a couple of years ago. I have just treated myself to the D7100. I have collected additional kit along the way as I've felt the need. Following the recently discovered joy of macro photography I have gone to the other extreme and am now trying to understand astrophotography (subject to clear skies, of which there has been a wonderfully small number since I splashed out on an adequate 'scope some months back!).

I love the endless creativity of this hobby and just wish I was good enough to turn into into a job. Maybe one day ...

In the meantime you can see a selection of my - or anyone's - photographs from the optional Flickr page link to the left (behind the red and blue dots).

Ruidoso Bill

Hey guys. Always been a big fan of photography and wife and I was in market for new camera. While I've always wanted a DSLR, the wife vetoed that. Lol we decided on a L820. Is that a decent starter camera? It seemed to have great reviews online. And so far we are both impressed with photos it takes. Still learning all the settings.

Thanks in Advance,
Jeffrey

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Yes it is certainly possible to take not only good but great pictures without a DSLR. Don't ever forget that the classic great photographers used cameras that today would be considered low tech. The main thing is taking pictures and learning composition, the camera is merely the tool.

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

And yes yoiu can get great pictures with that camera. Editing is also important. A great editing program to start with the the one that came with your camera. ViewNX2 the disk should have come with your camera or you can download it directly form Nikon at Nikon | Imaging Products | ViewNX 2

drummerJ99

OK thanks as always guys. This forum rocks. I'll stick with the L820 until I feel it's limitations are holding me back, then I'll look to upgrade. In the meantime I'll keep learning the basics and learning how to edit the photos.