Going to take Christmas light pictures

thegaffney

There is an area in town where are the "mansions" are, and they go over the top crazy on lights every year, was thinking about taking pictures of them. If there are a lot of cars going by, maybe ill have to increase the iso so I can lower the exposure time so no headlights get in the shot.

Tested it out just now on my house. Did it at ISO 100 f/5.6 and 13 seconds. there was a ton a little flares right above the house in the sky, a removed them, I don't suppose there is anything I can do about those?

Ill post the pictures here, going to try for tonight or tomorrow if they have them up already

_DSC0143.jpg

_DSC0143_2.jpg

Scott Murray

Yeah I always have the hood on, I think the flares are from the Christmas lights though

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

The only thing I can suggest then is adjusting camera angle so that the light doesn't create flares. Can you post one with the flares in it?

thegaffney

There is no filter, here is the picture with the flares, cropped down so you can see them closer

And here is one of the houses, they are the only ones that have them up yet. I think next time ill go earlier, I think I like seeing the dark blue sky with it rather than just all black. I tried exposing longer but that jut blew out the lights

They do the same thing every year, they have a radio station you can tune to and watch the lights go to the music. I couldnt get the whole property in the shot, it keeps going to the left

I love how sharp my new lens is!

_DSC0143-2.jpg

_DSC0145.jpg

Cowleystjames

This is the one area where my 58mm f1,4g has the edge and that's night photography. Flares are almost non existent, but it's sadly lacking in other areas.
But I agree with experimenting with different angles and definitely do not use filters these just seem to collect flares.

Scott Murray

This is the one area where my 58mm f1,4g has the edge and that's night photography. Flares are almost non existent, but it's sadly lacking in other areas.
But I agree with experimenting with different angles and definitely do not use filters these just seem to collect flares.

They are interesting flares aswell. All I can say is trial and error or photoshop ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD