D3200 Exp Mode, malfunction OR ?

BrooC

Hi guys, I'm just learning my way around a new D5200. A couple of manuals/guides etc advise that, when in 'P' mode, turning the command dial should scroll me thru a few alternative sets of suitable exposure settings.
​However, on my unit the only change is that 'P' goes to 'P*' (as per the manual) but no alternative exposures show on the screen. Is my unit faulty or is there some other setting/menu-item that I should select to get this function working? Thanks. BrooC.

nickt

The star indicates there was a change. Watch the display in the viewfinder as you turn the wheel. Shutter and aperture will change together to keep a balanced exposure. if shutter goes down, aperture will go up, etc. You may get a greater change in one direction over the other if the exposure is already needing the lens at the widest aperture. You would do this technique if you wanted a larger or smaller aperture or faster or slower shutter for creative reasons. It wont lighten or darker the picture, just shifts shutter and aperture, but keeps the exposure balance.

BrooC

Hi Nickt, thanks for the reply . .. .I completely understand what the mechanism is working to acheive or help me with, but my query was to do with why it appeared to NOT be doing anything.
However, I have now sussed it out ~ I was fiddling with the camera in a couple of indoor situations before (when nothing was changing) but this morning I took it out in the daylight for the first time & whatdya know it works a treat with lots of options!
Now that I've thought about it the answer is obvious ~ indoors/poor-light the 5200 was going straight to max ISO & at that was only able to offer me max Ap at slowest (pre selected) hand-held speed, but outdoors in good light the options are produced as described.
Initially I was concerned that there may have been a fault, especially since my usual luck seems to be to always get the one item in a million that is dodgy from new!
Thanks again.
BrooC ;-]]

BTW I headed this thread as 3200 in error, it is in fact a 5200.