Nikon 1J3... Not a bad camera at all. First impressions.

skene

So I recently got a hold of the latest rendition of the Nikon J series. This came as a kit from Costco which included bag, 10-30 and 30-110 lens, WU-1B wireless adapter and a 16g SD Card.

Camera is not so bad, however it takes some getting used to as I like viewing through a viewfinder as opposed to viewing through screen. Playing with the wireless control via android makes things pretty simple in terms of user control when doing selfies or family portraits. I like the layout of controls as it makes everything simple such as immediate data transfer, focus control and the like. I am still testing out what the limitations are as I am still new to the camera and do not get a lot of play time with it.

The lens system is not bad. I like the idea of being able to add a lens adapter to use my other Nikon lenses (This may be a purchase for a later date in time).

Not much a fan of the flash just yet, but at least for any additional lighting I can use one of my other shoe mount flash as a slave which helps light up a room.

So while the holidays are amongst us, I will be able to play with it a little more and will probably take it outdoors and see how it fairs up against my DSLR. I want to be able to take advantage of the fast shutter speed that the mirrorless cameras have to offer, and see what the video is like before anything.

We shall see.

Bill16

Thanks for the info! I've been curious about those types of cameras, but I'd hate not being able to use a viewfinder! Lol :D
But I'll try to keep an open mind if you'll continue to tell us about yours and how your liking it! :D

Last edited:

skene

Well, from what I gather from using the camera, it's easy to get around the menu. It's almost like playing with a DSLR less the weight and viewfinder. I have tried taking pictures and seeing what kind of bokeh I get out of it. Definitely not buttery smooth at wide open, but do keep in mind that is only at like F3.5. Which is not so bad considering kit lens.
The speed of capturing photos is nice, but I have yet to take it out and see what it does for action shots (however I would not be able to catch so much since the weather has been fairly cold, and I'm not interested in going out to a park for some action shots.
The Nikon V series does come with a viewfinder and the ability of adding a flash. So that may be something of interest, but since I have this one going with the other is not something I am looking to gain.

Carolina Photo Guy

Skene, you may want to check your firmware for both the camera AND LENSES!

I just updated my firmware for the J1 and both of my lenses.

BIG NOTE>>> The firmware for the lenses is 1.10 but you will need to download them each separately.

​JMTCW

PapaST

I have one coming my way along with a FT1 adapter so I'll give it the old run around when it comes in. I'm anxious to get a compact that has some DSLR capabilities and to be able to use my Nikkor lenses should be a nice bonus as well.

PapaST

Just to update, I got my J3 and played around with it for a day. I was going to give it more time but it really wasn't what I was looking for. It's certainly a nice camera but for a mirrorless, it was more of a high end P&S. I was looking more for a mirrorless that acted a little more like a DSLR. The J3 can definitely suit a need, it just wasn't for me.

I'm charging the battery for my Sony Nex6 right now. I think this camera will be more along the lines of what I was looking for.

Bill16

Hey my friend, how many cameras do you have these days? ;)Thanks for the feedback on the J3! It doesn't sound like my type of camera either I don't think.

Just to update, I got my J3 and played around with it for a day. I was going to give it more time but it really wasn't what I was looking for. It's certainly a nice camera but for a mirrorless, it was more of a high end P&S. I was looking more for a mirrorless that acted a little more like a DSLR. The J3 can definitely suit a need, it just wasn't for me.

I'm charging the battery for my Sony Nex6 right now. I think this camera will be more along the lines of what I was looking for.