Project 365 2011-Summer

Summer

Ok, so here goes....My first official posting of a photo to be "critiqued" and for all the world to see...*yikes!*

The theme that was picked from the pool this week was Colors.

These little things are so much fun and my kids are constantly making hilarious sentences that make no sense at all.

047.JPG

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Great concept and colors! If it was my shot, I'd crop the left edge. I think the white balance is not quite accurate - I would expect the letters to be a little more white than yellow. Finally, where was the focus point? The word "sick" towards the bottom center appears to me as being the most in focus.

Can you post the EXIF?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
No problem! First off, EXchangeable Image Format or EXIF is a term used with digital photography to describe the settings used when you take a the picture. An example might be something like this:

EXIF: Nikon D300, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G, handheld, ISO 800, 1/15, f/1.8, -2/3 EV

There are a couple ways to get this information. On a PC or a Mac, you can right click on the image and get some of it depending on whether you post processed and how you saved it. I downloaded and saved your file on my Mac, right clicked and got this:

Nikon D60, unknown lens at 36mm, unknown ISO, 1/2, f/5.3

I then opened the file with Photoshop and got the rest:

Nikon D60, 18-55mm lens @ 36mm, ISO 640, 1/2, f/5.3, white balance set to Tungsten, Manual exposure

If you don't have Photoshop, you probably have ViewNX which came with your camera. You can also get this info there.

So now you're probably wondering why I asked for this, right? I'm sure other more technical folks will also comment, but a couple things jump out at me. One reason the letters might be a little yellow, is the white balance. Did you have it set at auto?

Also, since aperture controls depth of field and that you used manual exposure mode, it gives me a clue as to how you wanted to capture the image.

Hopefully you won't mind, but since I had the image in Photoshop I took a quick pass at cropping and a curve adjustment. What do you think?

047_2.jpg

Last edited:

Summer

Hmmm. Not bad. The letters are definitely whiter! I do have PS CS3, however I did not post process this particular photo. It's kind of cool that you can get that info from a picture just by opening it in PS. Do you just right click on it once you open it in PS to find it?

I was shooting in Manual mode, but didn't have my lens turned to manual focus. I didn't notice until you said something where the focal point was, I kinda wanted it a little higher :/ and I didnt even think about my white balance, which is weird, because I am constantly changing the white balance on my phone when I take picture with it. I think it may be because I can actually see the difference in the colors before I take the picture on my phone.

Anyway, thanks for your help! I look forward to taking my next one and posting it later today. :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I do have PS CS3, however I did not post process this particular photo. It's kind of cool that you can get that info from a picture just by opening it in PS. Do you just right click on it once you open it in PS to find it?

In the Windows version after opening a file in PS, go to File then File Info. A new dialog box will open and select the Camera Data tab.

Summer

Here is my second installment for the 365 project....Still working with colors, this is a vase/pitcher that belongs to my mother in law that is as old as I am. There was a bowl that it sat in, but was broken by my dog. I have always loved the country rose color of the vase and the flower arrangement that she has in it I think suits it well.

For those that may ant to know, the EXIF is F/4.5, exposure time-1/4 sec., ISO 1600, Focal length 24mm, and I had white bal. on manual....For this one I used incandescent....It seemed to give me the best results for the light that I have near the table the vase sits on.

010 copy.jpg