Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AF-D compared to newer Nikkor 28mm 1.8g

ShootRaw

I am totally aware of the specs on both of these..Just need feedback from someone who has owned both of these or atleast the 24mm 2.8d and how it compares to the other 24mms out there..:confused:

aroy

The best and the sharpest is the 28mm f2.8 AIS. Pity it is a manual focus lens, but then I guess lanscape has no need for AF.

ShootRaw

I've owned the D series lenses in the past and non of them matches the newer optics of the G lenses either prime or zoom lenses.

No doubt...But was comparing those 2 AF D lens I mentioned..the 24mm 2.8 was sharper...Really leaning towards the 28mm 1.8g to go with my 50mm and 85mm 1.8g..

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
No doubt...But was comparing those 2 I mentioned..the 24mm 2.8 was sharper...Really leaning towards the 28mm 1.8g to go with my 50mmm and 85mm 1.8g..

I would personally choose the 28mm f1.8G over the 24mm f2.8D since the 28mm is just a better lens optically and has better control of lens flare and has smoother OOF rendition. For budget conscious folks, the 24mm f2.8D or 28mm f2.8D might do just fine depending if their camera has a screw drive to AF the D lenses.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Having that lens vs your 24-70mm 2.8...Should I spend the $1k more on the zoom? And sell the 50mm 1.8g? Budget conscious folks..(aka broke people)..Ha ha

Re: pros and cons. See #9. The price difference should already be a given, weight and the filter sizes since you can read specs just like anyone else.

With regards to the additional cost on the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 vs prime, that's all up to you. For wedding and event photographers, the 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 are essential or must have. I have all of them and I got rid of my 24mm f2.8D, 50mm f1.4D, 85mm f1.8D, 20-35mm f2.8D lenses once I tried the G lenses. Is it worth the money? I would say so instead of buying and selling lenses just to save some cash here and there. These are long term investments and I know I can sell my lenses with very little loss compared to the camera bodies.

So take that for what it's worth but eventually, the decision remains on your side on whether to spend the money now or spend the money later.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Still waiting an response^^^

Wow...pretty uptight arent we?...I know not to ask you for any personal experiences with gear anymore...Yes i can read...but i can not read minds..

I believe I answered your inquiries but you kept on asking for additional response. Some of the folks here are not participating with your questions probably because they do not feel qualified to answer your questions since you are asking for personal experience. It is also possible that other members have not used or owned these specific lenses that you are inquiring.

So, I guess you are not happy with my straight forward remarks? :confused: Am I misleading you or did I mentioned something that is not true?

Just to be clear, I am not one of those people who needs to convince someone to buy a certain equipment. As a moderator and as a member of this forum, I provide feedback based on my personal experience. Everyone here has their own financial situation. Some have money to spend, some don't and some have the money but are not willing to pay as much. Trying to convince you to buy a specific lens that is suited for your shooting style is not my business, we can only suggest or recommend. If you don't like my suggestions, then, no harm done. It is free and it didn't cost you anything.

So, instead of a simple "thank you" for taking the time to provide feedback, I get your professional feedback above.

Have a great day.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

I would personally choose the 28mm f1.8G over the 24mm f2.8D since the 28mm is just a better lens optically and has better control of lens flare and has smoother OOF rendition. For budget conscious folks, the 24mm f2.8D or 28mm f2.8D might do just fine depending if their camera has a screw drive to AF the D lenses.
Well I pulled the trigger on a Mint 28mm 1.8g...$500 Im exicted and appreciate your input..I wrestled with this for a while. Sigmas 18-35 1.8 vs 28mm 1.8g vs 24mm 2.8d
Took your advice...

Geoffc

Wow...pretty uptight arent we?...I know not to ask you for any personal experiences with gear anymore...Yes i can read...but i can not read minds..

Glen is the only person who provides feedback to a question and this is the response he gets; well that's out of order. Glen always provides straight forward honest replies without any edge to them.

I'm not sure which is worse, people asking a question and then disappearing never to return, or this type of thing.

ShootRaw

Glen is the only person who provides feedback to a question and this is the response he gets; well that's out of order. Glen always provides straight forward honest replies without any edge to them.

I'm not sure which is worse, people asking a question and then disappearing never to return, or this type of thing.
read post 18 please.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ShootRaw

I believe I answered your inquiries but you kept on asking for additional response....

So, instead of a simple "thank you" for taking the time to provide feedback, I get your professional feedback above.

Have a great day.

Well I pulled the trigger on a Mint 28mm 1.8g...$500 Im exicted and appreciate your input..I wrestled with this for a while. Sigmas 18-35 1.8 vs 28mm 1.8g vs 24mm 2.8d
Took your advice...

That is over with..We are cool..Sometimes it is hard to read the tone of peoples writing..I appreciated his input. Im happy I got the deal I was looking.Christmas came early for me..

My apologies to everyone, but I need to express something.

​ShootRaw, maybe YOU are cool with the way things transpired, but you don't come across as the stellar person that Glenn is, and you don't come across as being cool based on your responses.

No where in your replies is there a thank you, Glenn. Glenn put in a considerable amount of time into his responses. I'm glad you are happy to have finally made your decision; however, IMHO, your choice was heavily influenced by Glenn's input. You have a unique way of showing gratitude.

Glenn, I for one appreciate your input and expertise. Your knowledge and skill is WAY beyond my level so I hope you continue to offer your excellent advice and guidance as there are many of us who appreciate it. Thank you for all you bring to this forum, Glenn.

Nathan Lanni

I'm sure you're over it and want to move forward, but speaking for myself, I was doing a WTF with your statement.

Originally Posted by ShootRaw

An apology to Glenn is in order.

ShootRaw

Look,I apologize if you guys are so offended. The comment about that "I can read specs like anyone else "is what rubbed me the wrong way..This thread is about the differences in the lens I mentioned. Experiences etc..I would like it to remain on topic. Glen I hope we can move past this,which I believe we have anyway. Sorry for my comment..I did appreciate your input as I have expressed that. Some people here want to keep this going.Not sure why.Please folks,save the drama for your mama..lol

D12345678

I know this topic is old and you've now got your 28mm 1.8g but I just thought I would mention that I've recently been using a 24 2.8D with my D7100 and I'm very happy with the results. It's actually turned out to be a very versatile walk around lens that I can also make good use of with my older film SLRs. To me, it seems quite sharp or I should say, sharp enough for me anyway.