Sports AF-C Question.

HotGates

I just wanted to ask how everyone is using AF-C for sports, I heard that your supposed to start with center focus point whether in dynamic 21, 9, or 3D and try to keep your subject in the center for it to work, can't I set my focus point to the right or left and start tracking from there? thanks.

Krs_2007

Well no set rules to follow. I use 9 points and move the focus points around to show movement. So if you move the center focus point it moves all 9 at the same time but only shows one moving. For action you want the viewer to see what's going on. If you always shoot on the middle then it's hard to figure out which way things are moving.

I typically shoot with the points on the left or right. So if a runner is running to first base I will have the runner focused on the left and the base on the right third.

If I put the runner in the center then it makes the viewer wonder what's going on.

Take a look around because the subject matter may require different framing.

I don't use 3d tracking because if you follow the runner and something passes in the same focal plane it could pick that up.

It's trial and error and will take a lot of pictures for you to figure out what's best for you.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Moab Man

Depends on what you're shooting. As Pedroj said, he has a known pattern and can compose. However, I shoot soccer and football and use AF-C with 9 points selected. With rare deviation I keep it centered because the action is too dynamic. I also shoot in shutter priority and auto ISO.

Watoh

I use 9 point also. I'll often have the focus point to the far left or right, depending upon the situation.

nzswift

3D tracking AF adds color detection capability to the tracking system. As long as the subject is a different color from the background it should be accurately focussed.

fotojack

I shoot sports like Moab Man, and I shoot motorcycle races (or used to...the closed the track :( ). Football and baseball, and especially hockey....9 points, centre focus. Seems to work for me, but it takes patience and practice. :)

Watoh

3D tracking AF adds color detection capability to the tracking system. As long as the subject is a different color from the background it should be accurately focussed.

Just been reading up on this feature, i never knew about... but have struggled to control the focal point as desired when using it. Still practicing with it and trying to fathom when it works best.