Big things in 2011!

Browncoat

I didn't want to say anything until it was all official-like. And now that it is...

I have transferred schools, and will no longer be pursuing a degree in IT. After some soul-searching and analysis of the lousy IT market, I decided that was no longer a viable path for me. I'm not really meant to be chained to a cubicle for the rest of my days anyway. I'm happy to announce that after a review of my portfolio, I have been accepted to the Art Institute, and will be working towards a bachelor's degree in Photography. Why a degree? Because it's always been a dream of mine to be in business for myself. I'm confident that I have the business and marketing skills to make it happen. However, I lack the technical knowledge of photography to match my creative vision. I consider this an investment in my future.

Second, I will be working with a professional model (two in fact) for the first time next Sunday. Words can't express how excited I am about that! I can't wait to post the results from a real photo shoot. I belong to a photography group and we've pooled our resources to hire a couple of pros to pose for us.

And last, I have a big fish on the line. I enjoy the fast action of MMA (mixed martial arts), and have had the opportunity to work with a few local gyms at fights. A big time event promoter has sought out my services, and we are hashing out details that will lead to me working for them on a series of fights this year.

I've worked hard for this, and am enjoying every minute of the successes so early on in the year. Thanks for reading my little rant!

Last edited:

kayte

Congrats and I'm jealous- I don't have the time, the funds nor the energy sadly to persue a degree in Photography. I am a 'learn on my own' type of person, anyways.

Enjoy and hope it opens many doors for you :)

Carolina Photo Guy

You're not going to let hobbies like jobs and career foolishness get in the way of taking care of us here, are you?

Ya gotta get your priorities in order!

(Way to go Dude!)

Pete

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
That sounds great Anthony. You're better off doing what you love than loathing your job every day. I know how you feel about the cubical. I worked out of one for a couple years before doing what I'm doing now, which is building online communities :) It's paid off.

Browncoat

You're better off doing what you love than loathing your job every day.

That pretty much sums up where I'm at. I had a grandfather who was full of great info that I never learned to appreciate until I was older. He used to say that "you'll never make any money working for someone else"...and he was right. Hoping my days of punching a time clock for The Man will be over before I'm 40.

Summer

Congrats! I recently looked into applying to the Art Institute myself. I got kind of scared at the tuition price and backed off. After I thought about and talked it over with the hubby, I am going to finish my "real world" degree of an Associates in Admin Office Technologies-Legal. I will then apply to the same technical school and work towards a photography certificate in their Commercial Art program.....THEN, I may be ready to jump into the Bachelors in Photography! Though I was not aware that the Art Institute did a review of a portfolio, so that is something I need to start working on.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Because it's always been a dream of mine to be in business for myself. I'm confident that I have the business and marketing skills to make it happen. However, I lack the technical knowledge of photography to match my creative vision. I consider this an investment in my future.

Anthony, you can't go wrong by following your dreams, and investing in yourself and in your future. You're a very talented photographer already, and I am thrilled that others are recognizing this and doors are opening for you.

I wish you much success and stand behind you in support.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your pro model shoot and the martial arts venues.

Best Regards

Browncoat

Congrats, I think everyone here can vouch that your photos do not show that you lack any technical knowledge, give yourself more credit, relax and do what you do best.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. And regarding the above quote, I only wish that were true. You start talking to me about f/stops and my eyes glaze over. Soon drool starts to form at the corners of my mouth. I just fudge the settings until I get the look that I want. If you guys knew the amount of time I spend fiddling with simple settings, you'd probably laugh LOL. I'm learning though, slowly but surely.

More slowly than surely. ;)

Carolina Photo Guy

At least you remembered to say "f/stop" instead of "effin/stop"!

You're already ahead of me!

Dude, just go with what feels right. You got the gift. Trust your instincts. Everything else will come soon enough.

Pete

imnunky

PHP:
If you guys knew the amount of time I spend fiddling with simple settings, you'd probably laugh LOL. I'm learning though, slowly but surely.
More slowly than surely. ;)
There's no way seeing your gallery that you would be having trouble, I thought I was the only one with these hang up's, but there's one thing you have, and I don't and that is vision, compare your gallery to mine, I have snaps you have Photography, Oh yes I have been told to "Keep shooting" And nice people here are truly inspirational, and oh so helpful,
All that aside Anthony I as do every one else wish you the very best in your endevour,

johnwartjr

Congrats.

I've been working in IT since the late 90s. I worked for the family photography business, and decided IT was a more viable career, with better options to make a good living. In many ways, I wish I'd gone with something I loved over something I thought I could make money doing!

I spent 4 months last year unemployed. Amazed how few and far between interviews were, considering that I had been able to get multiple interviews within *days* of posting a resume just 3 years earlier!

I'm kinda burnt out on the IT thing. Big time. But I'm at a place in my life where my family depends on the steady income.. so the IT world it is for me!

Best wishes and good luck. You'll do fine!

Browncoat

Second, I will be working with a professional model (two in fact) for the first time next Sunday. Words can't express how excited I am about that! I can't wait to post the results from a real photo shoot. I belong to a photography group and we've pooled our resources to hire a couple of pros to pose for us.

The modeling shoot was today!

I will be able to post a few photos, but not very many. Much to my surprise, the models posed nude during much of the shoot....so I won't be posting those. It was kind of nerve wracking at first, but I'd like to think I did well.

naja

Well done Anthony, aim for the stars but keep your feet on the ground at the same time.

Working for yourself is hard, there is nobody to pay you when you are sick and there is no limit on the hours you work because your boss is a slave driver - and it is fantastic fun and 110% satisfying, so enjoy it.

Even at my advanced years I am looking at doing a photography degree. I always said I would because when I left school I did what my parents wanted me to do rather than follow my dreams, and that was a big mistake. I promised my late wife I would do a degree and I am getting the cash together to do it. I am sure you will have a fantastic time.