Traded 18-200mm for 17-55mm

thegaffney

I read all the great things about the Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens, and found a used one online about the same price I could sell my 18-200 for so I got it right away, its much sharper than the 18-200mm, and quieter, definitely feels a lot sturdier too.

My co-worker makes hair bows and I take the pictures of them for her, here is one I took with the lens showing the detail in the fabric

_DSC0186.jpg

I would definitely recommend getting this lens if anyways is thinking about it

thegaffney

I just did my friends wedding a week before I got it, it would of been much easier if I would of had it then. Luckily I had my speedlights though, but still all of the pictures would of been a teeny bit better id imagine.

mr2_serious

Excuse my absolute ignorance but is there that big a difference between the 17 - 55 f/2.8 and the 18 - 55 f/3.5 kit lens?

The 18-55 lens is actually f3.5-5.6. The aperture varies depending on how far zoomed out you are.
At 18mm the widest aperture is 3.5 and at 55mm it is 5.6

The 17-55mm is a constant f2.8 throughout the zoom range. At f2.8, the lens can pick up more ambient light

This may not be all the correct technical terms but I have you a good start. Hope it helps

» William via Tapatalk

Lawrence

The 18-55 lens is actually f3.5-5.6. The aperture varies depending on how far zoomed out you are.
At 18mm the widest aperture is 3.5 and at 55mm it is 5.6

The 17-55mm is a constant f2.8 throughout the zoom range. At f2.8, the lens can pick up more ambient light

This may not be all the correct technical terms but I have you a good start. Hope it helps

» William via Tapatalk

Well thank you I am now less ignorant and can see both the potential and limitations of this.
​Oh and I want one!