Nikkor 55mm-200mm good for sports?

colaaddict

My kids play hockey/soccer/swimming/martial arts. I'm in the stands. Will a 55-200mm lense good enough to take good pics. I'm a newby. Thanks.

fotojack

For hockey, I'd get either the 55-300 or the 70-300 lens. I've used the 55-300 with good results. Here's an example:

JT3_3261.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for reply. Whats a good beginner lens for hockey?
There's really no such thing and the answer to your question lies in understanding some foundational principles of photography, though the 55-200 IS a great all-around sort of lens to start with.

That being said, though, photography, of any kind really, will always boil down to application of The Exposure Triangle and how to balance those three elements to get the shot you want.

Also paramount to understand is Depth of Field and how focal length affects it. Get all that squared away in your brain and you're good to go.

fotojack

I think the OP was referring to budget when asking about a "good beginner" lens. Having said that, Fish is dead on the money (again!) when explaining about the technical aspects of getting the right shot.

carguy

I think the OP was referring to budget when asking about a "good beginner" lens. Having said that, Fish is dead on the money (again!) when explaining about the technical aspects of getting the right shot.

OP wrote:
My kids play hockey/soccer/swimming/martial arts. I'm in the stands. Will a 55-200mm lense good enough to take good pics. I'm a newby. Thanks.

...good enough to take pics :) 55-200 and 55-300 will have the same issue with low light conditions being variable aperture glass.