Smile!

STM

It is still warm here, 68º but rainy here today, and these beautiful critters have not yet bedded down for winter. This one was not overly large, maybe 2 feet or a little bit more. I shot this one yesterday in a drainage pond. I stood on a culvert and shot it with my 180mm f/2.8 AIS. Had I had something to put it in, I would have snatched it and it would have been the second copperhead I have had as a pet!

Attachments

• copperhead.jpg
    copperhead.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

nmccamy

Awesome shot!

​Though not a deadly snake, the Copperhead's venom can certainly be quite painful! So of course it's natural to want to keep it as a pet. :D

STM

Awesome shot!

​Though not a deadly snake, the Copperhead's venom can certainly be quite painful! So of course it's natural to want to keep it as a pet. :D

I have been bitten twice in my life by one and in both cases it was a "dry" bite. In both cases I did go to the ED, however. Dry bites are very common with copperheads. You really have to piss it off to get a "wet" bite. As venomous snakes go, this one is pretty much at the bottom of the ladder along with the coral snake to being dangerous. It takes a lot to get a coral snake to bite you, and since they possess very small fangs, they have to grab and hold on to envenomate you . Their venom, however, is the most potent in North America. Still, they remain one of the only venomous snakes I have yet to have as a pet!

Last edited:

STM

nice shot, copper colored eyes, nice

Copperheads are beautiful snakes, far more so than their close cousins the Cottonmouth. I have had both as pets and the dispositions of Copperheads is far nicer than Cottonmouths as well. I was able to handle my cottonmouths without fear of being bitten. Not so with a Cottonmouth!