Another d7100 buffer question

jaomul

Hi all,

I know there are no exact figures but the buffer fills way faster than quoted. I bought 2 fast sony sd cards, but i know buffer should be independent and they should only help clearing it. I have all the auto distortion corrections off, iso 100. It states these numbers which is low, very low

L jpeg fine-9
S jpeg fine-22
S jpeg normal-38

Raw + m jpeg fine 12 bit lossy -7.

i expect the raw = jpeg to be small, but just jpegs should be a lot higher. Anybody know is this user or camera error?

​Thanks

Steve B

Look at page 348 in the manual. Take note of the footnotes, especially number 3. The real question is how often do you expect to need to take a burst of 20+ images? You also don't say how fast your SD cards are. Faster cards (up to a point) will clear the buffer faster.

Steve B

Just a quick check on B&H seems to indicate that the write speed on the fastest Sony cards is quite a bit less than the write speed for a SanDisk Extreme Pro card. The tables on page 348 of the manual are based on performance using an 8GB SanDisk Extreme Pro card.

jaomul

Thanks

They are sony UHS1 cards, write speed 45mb/s read 94 mb/s. They may not be the fastest going but the buffer should be independent and the speed at which it clears linked to the cards if I am correct. Still 22 small fine jpegs is paltry to the 100 on the specs. I think I have a faulty camera (but hope its a faulty user).

​I would never shoot 22 shots in a burst but when I pay 1100 euro for a camera that should be able, then I want it to work correctly

Steve B

Is your JPEG compression set to Size priority or Optimal Quality? If this is set to Optimal Quality the number of images the buffer can hold will drop.

jaomul

Is your JPEG compression set to Size priority or Optimal Quality? If this is set to Optimal Quality the number of images the buffer can hold will drop.

I have tried every conceivable setting. I checked out youtube and it seems my camera is acting similar to every other. This is some way to making me think mine hasn't a problem which is a little comfort