Preparation for wedding photography

Scott Murray

Hi guys I am seeking information regarding wedding photography, I have been asked by a friend to do their wedding in February. Any information regarding lenses to use, lighting (flash/natural) would be appreciated. I am going to hoepfully get some practice in in the next few months.

pedroj

Re: Preperation for wedding photography

Which lens do you have Scott....I should imagine you will need a flash for the reception

ShootRaw

A wedding is a big task to fill...You will need a 24_70mm and a 70_200mm ...A flash...extra batteries and skill...I see you have more then 1 camera which is great..Shooting in A prority mode would help since things happen quick..Good Luck..

Scott Murray

Which lens do you have Scott....I should imagine you will need a flash for the reception

Lenses I have are, 16-35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 90mm, 80-400mm. Am looking at purchasing a new flash before the wedding.

A wedding is a big task to fill...You will need a 24_70mm and a 70_200mm ...A flash...extra batteries and skill...I see you have more then 1 camera which is great..Shooting in A prority mode would help since things happen quick..Good Luck..
Thank you for that. I will need all the luck I can get.

pedroj

Don't get flustered if things are not going well you'll need your wits about you...

Grumpy Old Bag

Hi Scott,

The best advice I can give you is to use the D600, switch to auto and shoot in RAW. A 24-120 F4 lens with a SB 900 flash will do most of what you will need to do.

“ As photography and the scene is determined by the artist or photographer at how he would like it portrayed.”

Read more: http://nikonites.com/photography-business/18003-truth-photography-6.html#ixzz2lkIFPIDH
You should have no problem shooting a wedding, you are a Photographer, are you not?

Advise your friend to get a Photographer if he wishes to have lasting memories of the big day.
No second chance with a wedding, you mess it up and not even Photoshop wil help you “fix” it.

DSC04158.jpg

GOOD LUCK! ;)

BackdoorArts

While those primes will more than do for set shots, I'd say you probably want a zoom to cover that range for when you don't have time to swap lenses. While I'm still getting familiar with it, so far I am very happy with my 24-120mm f/4, and I believe this range would be ideal for a wedding. Most folks would want the extra stop the 24-70mm f/2.8 gives, but the D600's sensor is so good in low light that it buys you that stop in terms of noise levels, but in very low light you may get a bit of focus hunting with the smaller aperture. And you'll likely be shooting with a flash anyway.

One thing I would caution you with regards to GOB's advice, when you're doing weddings, while you're responsible for setting and shooting the scenes, remember, it's not about what you want in these cases. So do a lot of talking with the couple ahead of time about what they want and factor that in at all times.

FastGlass

I've never shot a wedding but definetly wouldn't choose auto. You're leaving to many decisions up to the camera. I wouldn't do it personally without a 24-70 and a 70-200. Both fast lenses which you need in the always low light issues at a wedding.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Ask where the wedding will take place and see if there are any restrictions using a flash during the ceremony. There are a number of churches here which prohibit flash during a wedding plus some have restrictions limiting a photographer's movements (ie--some churches will only let a photographer set up in the church in one spot, then he/she is NOT allowed to move to another location during the service). If so, you will want to know the best place to stand ahead of time, and depending upon whether or not the church allows flash, you might need a tripod.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I would use the D600 in Quiet mode. As far as lenses, I don't understand people that say you <must> use a zoom. Weddings are not that hard to cover as long as you know what to prepare for. Pre-wedding, you'll want to go to the bride's house to get shots with her parents, then when she gets to the church, the groom waiting for the bride with his parents, bride walking down the aisle with her father, then the ceremony. I think there is plenty of time to change lens and get ready for the next episode if you allow me the term. It's always good to find out "before" what will be allowed and discussing it with the couple so they ask the minister/priest in advance. If you are stuck to one position and no flash is allowed, then you use your zoom lens and get the iso up so you get the shots. There is no point IMHO to shoot 200 pics inside the church, just get the key moments and a few candids. After the ceremony, get the couple together without the crowd to get more intimate shots and then some with parents. Then the reception where you are free to roam with the flash.

I used to do weddings with a Pentax 6x7 with 3 lenses and a hand held flash, so have no fear but be ready.

​Good luck and enjoy.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
After the ceremony, get the couple together without the crowd to get more intimate shots and then some with parents.

​Good luck and enjoy.

Taking photos of the wedding party and/or parents with the bride and groom after the ceremony can be a royal pain if there are a lot of people in attendance. Many of them want to take the same shot you are setting up and sometimes it can be difficult especially when a person decides to stand where you want to be. Some B&G's want their wedding party/parent shots taken at a different location which really helps if all of you can drive elsewhere and leave those in attendance behind. ;)

Scott Murray

Hi all thanks for the information so far. I am sitting down with the bride next week to discuss the finer details regarding the wedding, I am pretty sure it will be on the beach around sunset, so I will be taking that into consideration. They do not want me to take any photos at the reception as they want me to join in for celebratory drinks with them. I normally would not do a wedding and only have done a few for family members before. I am informed by the bride who is a close friend that it is going to be pretty low key, but we will see when the time arrives.

rocketman122

Hi all thanks for the information so far. I am sitting down with the bride next week to discuss the finer details regarding the wedding, I am pretty sure it will be on the beach around sunset, so I will be taking that into consideration. They do not want me to take any photos at the reception as they want me to join in for celebratory drinks with them. I normally would not do a wedding and only have done a few for family members before. I am informed by the bride who is a close friend that it is going to be pretty low key, but we will see when the time arrives.

WOW!! exposure compensation comes to mind. you will need to constantly adjust exposure. I would run aperture priority. watch your shutter speed in the VF. but you will need to constantly adjust exposure compensation. side lighting will be fine but backlit and front lit and youll have to constantly adjust on the fly.

SAND AND SALT corrosion to the gear! I would not do it. beach weddings? no thank you. I did it before with my F5's way back then. had sand everywhere after the wedding. the wind will blow it everywhere. it only takes 1 grain. think about if you want to take the chance. if not the grain then the salt corrosion which will rust stuff very quickly.

what one needs at minimum.
-2 bodies -check
-2 flashes HSS is a must for backlit shots. how many do you have?
-holy trinity-youre missing the middle lens. a 28-70 AFS or 24-70 AFS is a must. you can get away with the 50 and using the 16-35/80-400 on the ends to close that range. but for convenience and less stress its a must. no 70-200 2.8 but 80-400 will be ok, but slow AF. dont use it often. get a belt and lens pouches on you so you change as you need.
-tons of batteries/memory cards

till what time will this take place? weddings here go into the late night. 1-3am. and if youre outside all your shots will have a black background. consider light stands with flashes/slaves to fire off and give some fill on the dance floor.

wow a huge weight on your shoulder. hope youre comfortable under stress.

dont always take peoples word on what they say. im not saying it wont be low key. but they might ask you to stay and shoot "just a little while longer" just be ready for anything. there was an afternoon wedding where it was just brunch and the ceremony. the mother invited a DJ (without the BG knowing) and there was dancing and wound up staying another 2 hours. just be aware. things change on the go. be flexible.

rocketman122

as Pedro said, I too use aperture priority outdoors. f/4-8 is fine. I prefer more open than closed. every angle you point your camera, youll get a different picture if you use manual. use auto iso if you know how. tell it no more than iso 4000 in the worst situations and stop the shutter to no slower than 1/80 AT THE LEAST. but watch the shutter in the VF. put the drive in CL and get 2-3 shots all the time so you get a locked shot.

Scott Murray

WOW!! exposure compensation comes to mind. you will need to constantly adjust exposure. I would run aperture priority. watch your shutter speed in the VF. but you will need to constantly adjust exposure compensation. side lighting will be fine but backlit and front lit and youll have to constantly adjust on the fly.

SAND AND SALT corrosion to the gear! I would not do it. beach weddings? no thank you. I did it before with my F5's way back then. had sand everywhere after the wedding. the wind will blow it everywhere. it only takes 1 grain. think about if you want to take the chance. if not the grain then the salt corrosion which will rust stuff very quickly.

what one needs at minimum.
-2 bodies -check
-2 flashes HSS is a must for backlit shots. how many do you have?
-holy trinity-youre missing the middle lens. a 28-70 AFS or 24-70 AFS is a must. you can get away with the 50 and using the 16-35/80-400 on the ends to close that range. but for convenience and less stress its a must. no 70-200 2.8 but 80-400 will be ok, but slow AF. dont use it often. get a belt and lens pouches on you so you change as you need.
-tons of batteries/memory cards

till what time will this take place? weddings here go into the late night. 1-3am. and if youre outside all your shots will have a black background. consider light stands with flashes/slaves to fire off and give some fill on the dance floor.

wow a huge weight on your shoulder. hope youre comfortable under stress.

dont always take peoples word on what they say. im not saying it wont be low key. but they might ask you to stay and shoot "just a little while longer" just be ready for anything. there was an afternoon wedding where it was just brunch and the ceremony. the mother invited a DJ (without the BG knowing) and there was dancing and wound up staying another 2 hours. just be aware. things change on the go. be flexible.

Excellent thank you for this information.

As for stress I work as an Emergency Services Officer so that should not be an issue ;-). But yes this is a totally different ball game and is going to be very interesting, they will either love my shots or hate them lol. Only time will tell. All I know is that it is going to be an interesting experience and one that I will never forget most likely.

Memory cards and batteries are covered but I do need a few more flashes/slaves.

Thank you again, I will look at the two above mentioned lenses aswell.

Scott Murray

as Pedro said, I too use aperture priority outdoors. f/4-8 is fine. I prefer more open than closed. every angle you point your camera, youll get a different picture if you use manual. use auto iso if you know how. tell it no more than iso 4000 in the worst situations and stop the shutter to no slower than 1/80 AT THE LEAST. but watch the shutter in the VF. put the drive in CL and get 2-3 shots all the time so you get a locked shot.

Excellent I already do this so it should not be an issue.

CL is also great advice, I most likely would not have thought of this.

rocketman122

Excellent thank you for this information.

As for stress I work as an Emergency Services Officer so that should not be an issue ;-). But yes this is a totally different ball game and is going to be very interesting, they will either love my shots or hate them lol. Only time will tell. All I know is that it is going to be an interesting experience and one that I will never forget most likely.

Memory cards and batteries are covered but I do need a few more flashes/slaves.

Thank you again, I will look at the two above mentioned lenses aswell.

Huh, cant get more stressful then that. youll be fine haha.

shoot the same picture 2-3 times. I shoot 2 pics, refocus and recompose and shot another. focus accuracy will change so better for you to get a useable pic. dont go stingy on shutter count. shoot a lot. since both the D800 and D600 arent speed demons, have the D800 run at CH and configure it to shoot 2-3 pictures and CL for the D600 at 2-3. I use single af mode always. never change the af area in the VF. so do the focus, and recompose. I dont trust the continuous AF to be accurate. on the dance floor you have to anticipate shots like when they do salsa and he spins her wait till theyre both parallel to the camera and shoot. a lot of candid. use the 80-400 at 150 or so to capture relaxed emotions.

you dont need the 28-70/24-70 but if youre comfortable moving to get your composition properly use the 50. it is the beach so you should have a lot of space to move around and get the composition. even if you have to shoot 4-6 people full body shots, go back and shoot with the 50 instead of using the 16-35. it more aesthetically pleasing.

if youre going to shoot dancing, considering getting light stands and some slaves. u can do with one, but it gets really dark on the beach, so you should use 2.
something cheap thats very nice for a stationary setup is commlite G430. $25 shipped on ebay. and the transmitter has a ttl pass through hot shoe. so ttl on the camera and off camera for fill in manual. very easy to use and setup.

the off camera flashes can be manual flashes. cls is worth crap. too far away to be reliable. you can fire them at 1/16 or even less. but you should set them up out of the dance floor area so it doesnt get tripped over. fire it downward to the dance area. you can use a light warming gel if you like. adding these fill in lights makes things professional and give it a wow look. use any manual flash. even an old sb28 will be fine.

it adds depth because it comes from the side. the people in front are well lit and theres a nice lit area behind them. it gives the pictures a lot of energy. people look at the pictures and gives you the feeling of being on a dance floor with the crazy lights.

rocketman122

Excellent I already do this so it should not be an issue.

CL is also great advice, I most likely would not have thought of this.

Oh! one thing that most people wont pay attention to. I dont know if the sun will set at the horizon of the water, but if it does, consider shooting towards the sun and doing back lit pictures. you really have to be good at flash/backlit exposures but the pictures look so much better than the sun in peoples faces and theyre all squinting! better that you suffer and squint and shoot them with the sun back lighting them.

shoot with the flash at HSS. they will have the sea at their back, a nice halo/rim lighting effect on their hair, they wont squint and it will look fantastic. stop down so any misfocus you get, youll have enough DOF to compensate. start practicing haha.

if the people arent standing in a spot I want, I simply ask them. so if you need to spin them around, ask them to kindly spin around. "guys, you come stand here so I can get a nice shot of you with the sun/sunset?" no problem is what they say. but more than that, I simply stand where I want and they will more or less adjust themselves to you haha! even if theyre standing already waiting for me and hugging together, I walk over to where I want and they turn follow me HAHAHA its hilarious but it works. I simply want the best image for them. no side lighting and no front lighting.

try, as least as possible, to shoot with the sun in peoples faces. too many lost shots from squinting and weird expressions. and dont do side lighting because that exaggerates features like big noses, wrinkles and skin defects and woman dont like that. those with big noses and wrinkles will hate you. and you can PP that. backlit buddy! practice it. eh...raw, yes?!

good luck. cheers

Last edited:

crycocyon

Hi Scott, personally I would have the 16-35mm on the D600 and the 85 mm on the D800E. Then both cameras with flash units (SB-800 is my own preference) with something like this:

TDD800wSB8002.jpgTDD800wSB8001.jpg

Notice how I have it facing backwards as I use it purely for bounce flash, and no direct light hits the subject.

I would tell the bride (nicely and gently) that shooting the reception is part of the job and also what every professional wedding photographer would do. Joining in for the drinks is not part of your job, but rather to capture every important moment. The bride and groom down the road would almost certainly regret having a huge part of the wedding day not covered. I don't know if they are paying you for the job, but even if they paid you just to cover the wedding, do the reception as well. That way you'll also have a complete portfolio of the day, and experience. It is as much for you as it is for them. :) I usually carry 3x 32 GB SD cards with me and at least triple the number of rechargeable batteries you think you might need.

Shooting a wedding is a bit like shooting wildlife. There is always a "peak" to the motion or moment and in this case to the expression. Look for those defining moments. Treat it like you are reporting breaking news. And most of all enjoy yourself!

Scott Murray

Excellent advice from everyone thank you.

What I am thinking of using/taking with me is this.

D800E/D600 (OWN)
16-35mmVR (OWN)
50mm 1.4 (OWN)
85mm 1.4 (OWN)
80-400mmVR (OWN)
90mm 2.8 (OWN) (ring shot etc)
SB-700 (OWN)
SB-910 (BUYING)
Lumiquest Softbox III LG 119 (BUYING)
Manfrotto C/Fibre tripod (OWN)
6 x 32gb SD cards (OWN)
1 x 16gb CF card (highspeed) (OWN)
1 x 32gb CF card (OWN)
Numerous spare batteries (D600 & D800 take exact same batteries).

"anything else that you guys can think that I will need"?