Best Lens For D3200 Shooting Macro and Others

derrickhand300

Hello
I am completely new to the D3200 and beginner level at photography
I just purchased a D3200 because I need to take macro shots of jewelry for my website- but I would also like to take pictures at my sons sporting events
The 18-55 seems pretty worthless for both (it could just be me not getting he settings correct) The macro's just are not in focus enough ( part near lens in focus- part going away from the lens is slightly out of focus) During sporting events the pics are clear and sharp- but I need more zoom to get in on the action like I would like.
I am looking at the Nikon 105mm macro lens with VR (huge price) would this work for both Macro AND Zoom?
Or would a 200mmm or even 300mm offer the macros I need and the zoom? I really want to buy a nice lens but I would like it to be the RIGHT lens for me because its so expensive
I appreciate any tips and advice any of you can share- no matter how basic because I really am new to this
Thank you
Curtis

ShootRaw

Yes that lens is good for macro and portraits...They make a fantastic 40mm 2.8g micro($276) by Nikkor that will serve the macro part and serves as a long standard lens as well...

Nero

All I know is the 18-55mm is not meant for macro shots. The lens can't focus close enough to the subject to take macro shots.

I've heard good things about the 60mm macro lens though. Should much more affordable for you than the 105mm.

Steve B

The 105mm is not a zoom lens. It is an excellent macro lens however. Also remember that when working close to the subject you are going to have a very shallow depth of field.

ShootRaw

The 105mm 2.8 is alittle overrated...I had one for 30 days and returned it...For the O.P's needs he might wanna go the 60mm 2.8 route for a happy medium....

WayneF

Hello
I am completely new to the D3200 and beginner level at photography
I just purchased a D3200 because I need to take macro shots of jewelry for my website- but I would also like to take pictures at my sons sporting events
The 18-55 seems pretty worthless for both (it could just be me not getting he settings correct) The macro's just are not in focus enough ( part near lens in focus- part going away from the lens is slightly out of focus)

Trying to save you some money. The 18-55 ought to do "jewelry for my website", which is not actual life size macro anyway. That lens will focus to 11 inches, and the D3200 takes 6,016 × 4,000 pixel images (24 megapixels). A larger image for a web site page might be only 900x600 pixels (for example). This site does not allow them much larger than that (for example). This web size is maybe 1/7 of the original image size. So at 11 or 12 or 14 inches, OK, so the jewelry is a bit small in the image - does not reach frame to frame. No problem, simply crop it tighter (before resampling it) to include what you want, and THEN resample it smaller for the web site.

Should not be any issue at all.

If cropping might be any mystery, see Image Resize - Cropping, Resampling, Scaling

Use about f/11 to take this picture, to maximize depth of field (focus). This depth is a zone around the focus point. If it extends on the near side of focus more than the back side, simply just focus a tiny bit farther back, to center it on your subject. Closeup work learns NOT to focus on the front surface of the subject, for that reason. Depth of field extends on both sides of the focus point. Center it around the depth of your subject, not on only the front surface.

During sporting events the pics are clear and sharp- but I need more zoom to get in on the action like I would like.
I am looking at the Nikon 105mm macro lens with VR (huge price) would this work for both Macro AND Zoom?

The 105 mm VR lens is a macro lens (focuses to 1:1 size, real life size on the sensor, which is way too much for jewelry). It is NOT a zoom lens, it only does 105mm. It is a longer lens however, and will make distant subjects appear about twice larger than the 55 mm lens. But there will be no zoom function.

Last edited:

Moab Man

Welcome Derrick.

You are honestly talking about two different types of lenses. For sports you are really needing more reach. Something like a 55-300mm or a 70-300mm. A 105mm will not give you anywhere close to the reach you need.

For macro I would suggest the Tamron 90mm. Outstanding glass, has a motor in the lens to work with your camera, and won't break the bank relatively speaking for a lens in this range.

The best advice I can give you is to rent the lens or lenses that you think you want before you purchase. It is the best money you can spend.

nickt

Like Wayne said, try your 18-55. If you get the macro, you will be back with problems because you will not easily get the whole ring in focus. We will tell you to back up and crop. So just try your lens and back up and crop. If you get a 200 or 300mm lens for sports, that will do well on a ring too. You do not need a zoom that has a macro setting for this.

Take a look at this thread:
http://nikonites.com/d3100/14484-wedding-band-photography-*-need-opinion-*-2.html#axzz2lgxvyTiZ

In post #13 in that thread, I posted a quick picture of my ring taken with the 55-200 kit lens.

marce

Tamron 60mm is a nice little macro for the D3200.
For sports it all depends on budget, I use the 55-300 at the moment cos it was all I could afford at the time, again its not a bad lens.
And you can get both if you look around for the same r=price as the Nikkor 105.

derrickhand300

Thanks to each of you for taking your time to help me out-I really do appreciate all the help! I feel now I can make an informed decision without sending more money on a lens/lens I do not need
​I appreciate it