Format card

donaldjledet

After card is full and you upload photos. Then format card in camera it should go to 0?
If after that it still says full is it the card or camera that is not formatting?
Thanks

Steve B

First thing to do is make sure the card is not write protected. If it is an SD card there is a switch on one edge of the card.

480sparky

First thing to do is make sure the card is not write protected. If it is an SD card there is a switch on one edge of the card.

That's not a switch. It's just a piece of plastic that slides back and forth. The switch is in the device the card is inserted into (camera, card reader, etc). That is the switch that determines whether or not the card is write protected.

nikonpup

in my camera after i format card the display will read the numbers of shots that i can do. When the display says 0 card is full.

Horoscope Fish

After card is full and you upload photos. Then format card in camera it should go to 0?
If after that it still says full is it the card or camera that is not formatting?
The display indicates how many shots the card will hold and the number is a countdown.

Seeing a zero indicates the card is full, as in you have "zero" shots left for this card.

Steve B

That's not a switch. It's just a piece of plastic that slides back and forth. The switch is in the device the card is inserted into (camera, card reader, etc). That is the switch that determines whether or not the card is write protected.

Just using the common term that is used everywhere else. Really doesn't matter where the actual switch is, the little piece of plastic has to be in the right position.

Disregard this approach. I was having a senior moment and wasn't thinking about the fact that you couldn't be writing images to the card in the first place if the card was write protected. Doh!!

Last edited:

Cowleystjames

As Horoscopefish said, after formatting the card it should be showing a figure in the screen indicating the amount of images that the card can take.
If it says zero it's full.

piperbarb

When you reformat the card, be sure to reformat it in your camera, not through your computer. It's an option in the menu. You have to select "yes" for the card to be formatted.

donaldjledet

I tried format in camera its apny pro elite 32gb.
In camera menu it said error can't format in this camera setting. So what do i see about changing?
Thanks

Last edited:

donaldjledet

It said error and looked at ISO setting it was set at 6400 changed it to 400 and then hit format in camera and the number of shots left showed up. problem fixed thanks

480sparky

Wait.... what? Changing the ISO solved the problem?
CalvinHuh.gif

Steve B

597 images on a 32 bit card is correct if you are shooting RAW only and saving the images as lossless compressed 14 bit images. See the tables on page 348 of your manual (the numbers are based on 8GB cards so adjust accordingly). As stated by others ISO and read/write speed of card do not impact the number of images the card can hold. ISO setting shouldn't impact formatting either. If you only have one card in the camera are you somehow telling the camera to format the card in the other slot (which doesn't exist). Reading the manual it doesn't look like you can do that but you may want to check. If you are only using one card make sure it is in slot 1. Again, I don't know if this is your problem since I always have 2 cards in my D7100.

Brandonberg

Are you using a second card in slot #2?

If you are and you have it set Slot 1: RAW and Slot 2: JPEG .. if the Card 2 slot is full it will generally still show 0 after formatting card 1.. as it still has 0 shots remaining until you also format card #2.