Sports photography help.

MAMF

I love taking fast moving sports photography. Yesterday I took my D3200 with 55-200 lens to watch a game of rugby with my son.

Not for the first time I had it on the sports setting, ISO 6400 & Hi 1 but out of the 800 photos I took only around 60 were in focus, I have the button half depressed to keep the shot in focus but still most come out - out of focus.

What am I doing wrong? 1460097_10201146415047084_1421263261_n.jpg

fotojack

Do you have your camera set to Continuous Focus? And how are your panning skills? It takes a steady hand to get it right. Have you considered a monmopod to set your camera on? Just a couple of things to consider. :)
Oh, one more thing; try setting your camera to Shutter Priority instead of Sports setting. I think you'll like the difference it will make. :)

MAMF

I have a tripod I could try, I could also use the shutter setting with high ISO - what is the best aperture to set it at?

Ta for your help.

Krs_2007

Your lens will limit your aperture so I would imagine that lens has a maximum of f5.6. So shooting high ISO and a shutter speed that is double your max focal length should help. I typically shoot at 500 and up for sports for shutter speed.

I would also get a monopod till you can get steady hand held shots. A tripod is harder to use and can be more trouble if you have to move around.

The best advice outside of high shutter, correct ISO to achieve the high shutter and a max aperture is to just practice and practice and then practice some more. Low light sports is very challenging but also rewarding when you get that shot.

It also helps when you understand the sport and you can tell where the action is going be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fotojack

I have a tripod I could try, I could also use the shutter setting with high ISO - what is the best aperture to set it at?

Ta for your help.

Read what Krs 2007 posted. He's right on the money there.
If and when you do get a monopod, leave your lens on VR. It's only on a tripod that you turn off the VR feature.
See if your local camera shop has a used camera equipment department. Some people trade in their old kit to move up to more expensive gear. Who knows...you might get lucky. Check out EBay for deals.

Moab Man

Echoing the others.

Monopod - easier than a tripod and allows for much quicker following.

Shutter priority - Let the camera do what it can to accomodate.

Aperture - wide open

ISO - Set to auto

Focus - Continuous

Practice practice practice. It took a lot of games and throw away shots before I learned the technique for shooting action.