new camera dilema

oohmygod831

I need some advice. I have a max budget of £700 for a new camera but im a bit undecided what to buy. My short list is either the D7000 with 18-105mm kit lens or the D5200 and buy a better lens. Both are on SLR Hut , D7000 with kit lens for £620 and the D5200 body for 350 which would leave £350 for a lens. i like all kinds of photography so would need an all round lens to begin with. I can not stretch the budget and need a camera now (sold my old camera to raise funds for new one) and would not be able to raise any more money for another year at least.

Is my short list ok or would you have any other suggestions.

weebee

Welcome to the forum. When I researched for my camera I was very interested in the D5200. But I just couldn't get the deal I was looking for. Both of these are great cameras, But I would go with the 5200 and get a lense for it. Good luck with your decision!

Vincent

We all have these impossible questions.

Since you do not have a lot of idea it seems.
D7000 + 18-105 will be more for running around normally, no ambition to learn about lenses and move on to better material. Depends on what you want to do, for that you might not need a D7000, so why spend that much?

If you want to learn about different facets of photography 18-105 might be limited.
D5200 body + £350:
18-55mm
£100
55-300mm
£178

Save up an add the next after some time: 35mm f1,8
£145

=> one of the best things is to ask a friend to look with them at the way they use their material and for what, it might become more clear to you what the material is for.

P.S.: All these lenses are DX with will be a bad choice if you might evolve quickly to the FX format.

skene

If those are your choices, you can always just purchase the D7000 body only and have a little money for picking up maybe a 40/60mm micro lens...
If you are more pressed for the lens, then you can do a D90 body and then get a better macro lens like the 85mm...

Don't be afraid to step down a model year to save a few dollars if you are in dire need of a camera. While I am sure that the D5200 is a great camera, unless you are planning on doing a bit more video either that or the D7000 would be the way to go.

Otherwise I would say the D90 would be enough to keep within budget. Looks like SLR Hut has some new ones in stock as well. Check it out.

Nikon Photographer

On a few other Photo websites and forums I go on, SLR Hut have had quite a bit of bad feedback, I did look at the SLR Hut when I was looking to get a P7100 for travel photo's, and thats where I found there bad feedback,although they have a U.K address, this is only a mail address, all products come from the U.S, and as such will be grey market, and will not have a U.k or European warrenty, do a search on Google or have a look in the AP and for a new with full U.K warrenty, you won't pay much more that the price you have found at SLR Hut,

SLR Hut.jpg

oohmygod831

On a few other Photo websites and forums I go on, SLR Hut have had quite a bit of bad feedback, I did look at the SLR Hut when I was looking to get a P7100 for travel photo's, and thats where I found there bad feedback,although they have a U.K address, this is only a mail address, all products come from the U.S, and as such will be grey market, and will not have a U.k or European warrenty, do a search on Google or have a look in the AP and for a new with full U.K warrenty, you won't pay much more that the price you have found at SLR Hut,

View attachment 60386

Thank you for your advice. I think I have looked at so many reviews and videos on YouTube that I think I had forgotten the fundamental rule about shopping online, ie check out the retailer. I think I will get one from Currys to be safe

D7000 is the one I have and I also have a D5100 and it is great but the weather sealing and the ability to have the flash commander built in with the D7000 are great features for now and later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

RON_RIP

D7000. No doubt about it. In addition to the pluses that everyone else have mentioned, the ability to better utilize legacy glass is a huge plus. That was what was missing on my D90.

Horoscope Fish

Another vote for the D7000. The internal focus motor it has over the '5200 alone would be huge for me, but the battery life is twice as long, you get the weather sealing, dual sd-card slots...

Yeah. Between the two, get the D7000.