My Flickr

Michael J.

For a constrictive criticism you should upload the photo in this thread I think. People can see the posting which belongs to the photo and it is easier to follow up when people using tapatalk.

amayhem

Oh sorry about that guys.. Ill make sure to post on here

is there a way for me to delete this original post and start over with a picture?

WhiteLight

Oh sorry about that guys.. Ill make sure to post on here

is there a way for me to delete this original post and start over with a picture?

Just click on 'go advanced' below the post.
There you can delete the contents of your post & re-enter what you like..

amayhem

DSC_0335.jpg

Heres one that I would honestly love some feedback on =)

BackdoorArts

Nice photo. As mentioned, I would fix the tooth. I also went to your Flickr to find the original to verify what I was seeing, and for a portrait like this you really want the eye to be in crisp focus and what I see as the focus point is either the nose or the chin - forward of the eyes.

The EXIF from the original photo is...

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3200
Image Date: 2013-11-10 15:41:45 -0700
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Aperture: f/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 3200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Macintosh

There is a lot of noise in the large original image (linked here for the curious). Shooting at a lower ISO would be highly recommended, particularly given that I'm seeing at least one artificial light source, and probably 2, in his eyes, and you're only shooting at 1/60. Reduced to this size it's hard to see, but it's easily cleaned up in Camera RAW, assuming you shot RAW.

amayhem

You guys are Awesome!! So I have a question, what is the rule of thumb on "photo alteration etiquette". I was wanting to heal the front tool during editing, but felt uneasy. Is it normal in the photography world to edit slight physical imperfections, such as the front tooth?

Btw thank you for pointing out the focus point issue, however I am having a hard time seeing the difference between the nose, and chin. Is there a trick of the trade, or any advice on using reference points so I can train my eyes to see such a difference.

Once again, all feedback is helping me learn, so I seriously appreciate it! =)

BackdoorArts

There's a whole thread going on about "truth in photography" that will give you a head-full on just what a loaded question that is. LOL My take is that for portraits, fixing minor imperfections and blemishes is more than acceptable. For the tooth, if it's something you want to remember, leave it, otherwise fix it.

The focus thing is not so much where the focus is as much as it is where it's not, which should be the eyes. I have to be honest and say that the focus seems a little soft everywhere, but that could just mean that there aren't enough details to really see anything tack sharp where it is focused, and could be exacerbated by the ISO noise and a lack of sharpening. I don't know if it's a trick to see it as much as it is that once you see it you can tell when it's missing. It shows that you're using CS4 to post process. Are you using anything else?

amayhem

I just started reading the "truth in photography" thread. =) Thank you for the heads up

As for the program, I'm only using PhotoShop Cs4/Cs6 at the moment. I was looking around and found that one to be the best fit for my price point. Is there a program that you would recommend over Photoshop?

I went out and took a few other shots today and started playing with my focal points, I can see what you mean regarding the sharpness or lack there of. I will continue to train my eyes, and work on learning how to better use my Manual Focus.