Fix Live View

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye4get

I am new to the Nikon D5200, but Nikon really needs to fix the inability to change Aperture when Live View is active! I almost purchased the Canon700D for its touch screen and actual live view features. If Nikon wants to remain competitive in the entry level DSLR sector, they need to listen to consumers and develop updates to make changes. Developing a firmware update for a new battery is not as important as adding a useful feature to view actual changes to shutter speed, ISO and Aperture REAL TIME!

Comments are welcome. The more we voice our opinions the more likely Nikon will respond.

FastGlass

I'm not one for using the liveview feature on my cameras because of the shutter lag issue. In fact I can't think of any reason why I would want to use it over the view finder. eye4get why do you use it? Just curious.

Bob Blaylock

I am new to the Nikon D5200, but Nikon really needs to fix the inability to change Aperture when Live View is active! I almost purchased the Canon700D for its touch screen and actual live view features. If Nikon wants to remain competitive in the entry level DSLR sector, they need to listen to consumers and develop updates to make changes. Developing a firmware update for a new battery is not as important as adding a useful feature to view actual changes to shutter speed, ISO and Aperture REAL TIME!

Comments are welcome. The more we voice our opinions the more likely Nikon will respond.

Is the D5200 really not able to change aperture while in Live View mode? I'm skeptical. I just tried it with my D3200, which is the contemporary next-model-down from the D5200, and there does not appear to be any restriction on changing the aperture while in Live View mode. It seems that everything you're complaining about the D5200 not doing, my D3200 does just fine.

I find it difficult to believe that my D3200 can do this, but that the D5200 cannot.

I think it much more likely that you're simply failing to understand some important point about how to make your D5200 work, than that the D5200 lacks some simple, basic functionality, that the D3200 has.

On the D3200, it's all quite transparent. I go into Live View mode, set the camera to any mode where I expect to be able to change the aperture, and I can change the aperture in exactly the manner that I expect. And the camera continues to display the other settings, in real time, even where the camera may be controlling them automatically. I find it difficult to believe that he D5200 doesn't behave likewise, and I am at a loss as to what you could be missing to make you think that it is behaving otherwise.

Bill16

I'm with Fast glass on this. I rarely use live view so far. But I suppose I may try it when shooting macro since my D5100 has the flip out LCD. It might lessen my back pain a little! :)

eye4get

I guess this goes to asking, "Why have an articulating LCD screen or Live View in the first place?"

I'm interesting in seeing changes [to photos], before I shoot them. I know I can capture a ton of photos and look at the camera data after. I am still learning. Seeing how changes to ISO, Aperture or Shutter Speed effect the outcome; in real time helps. Tethering is not a must have or do. It seems an entertaining attribute to photography I'd like to understand more.

To be honest, Nikon is a few steps behind Canon on a couple features. One begin the inability to adjust aperture setting while in Live View. Another is the lack of a touch screen ability to their displays; something that even the simplest [and cheapest] of smart phone have.

Thank you for your reply. I continue to learn each time I pick up my camera.

Last edited:

eye4get

I'm still new to the D5200. I don't have a D3200 to compare. If you place the camera in Manual Mode and activate Live View you can change shutter speed and see changes real time. You can change ISO and see changes as well. You can not change Aperture, without exiting live view. You must exit LV, make Aperture changes and activate LV again. It's hard to see any changes in Aperture or Shutter Priority modes, because the camera compensate the other setting automatically.

Another way of explaining this: When I use manual mode, I have to set the camera to manual movie settings in order for the screen to reflect changes. If not I can change ISO and shutter speed to my heart's content but the display doesn't change.

Some comments from other forums:

"On Nikon prosumer cameras, with Shutter Priority in Live View video mode, the camera cannot automatically adjust exposure by controlling the lens aperture. Once you enter Live View mode, the lens iris can no longer be adjusted due to the mechanical construction of the mirror box."

"The Canon lifts its mirror to provide live view. To shoot a picture, it opens and closes a shutter curtain. This makes very little noise and allows the camera to quickly return to live view. The Nikon lifts its mirror to provide live view. To shoot a picture, it drops the mirror, opens it to expose the sensor, then drops the mirror again. (In other words, it uses the mirror as the shutter.)"

Nikon D5200 Hands-on Review - YouTube

Bob Blaylock

I'm still new to the D5200. I don't have a D3200 to compare. If you place the camera in Manual Mode and activate Live View you can change shutter speed and see changes real time. You can change ISO and see changes as well. You can not change Aperture, without exiting live view. You must exit LV, make Aperture changes and activate LV again. It's hard to see any changes in Aperture or Shutter Priority modes, because the camera compensate the other setting automatically.

Another way of explaining this: When I use manual mode, I have to set the camera to manual movie settings in order for the screen to reflect changes. If not I can change ISO and shutter speed to my heart's content but the display doesn't change.

Some comments from other forums:

"On Nikon prosumer cameras, with Shutter Priority in Live View video mode, the camera cannot automatically adjust exposure by controlling the lens aperture. Once you enter Live View mode, the lens iris can no longer be adjusted due to the mechanical construction of the mirror box."

Try as I might, I cannot get my D3200 to exhibit any sign of the limitations you describe here, nor can I think of any rational reason why the D5200 would have these limitations, and the D3200 would not.

"The Canon lifts its mirror to provide live view. To shoot a picture, it opens and closes a shutter curtain. This makes very little noise and allows the camera to quickly return to live view. The Nikon lifts its mirror to provide live view. To shoot a picture, it drops the mirror, opens it to expose the sensor, then drops the mirror again. (In other words, it uses the mirror as the shutter.)"

Nikon D5200 Hands-on Review - YouTube

Now, you're simply not making sense at all. No, Nikon cameras do not drop the mirror and then raise it again, while taking a picture in Live View mode. I've definitely confirmed this with my D3200. I put it in full Manual mode, removed the lens, put it into Live View, and then “took a picture” while I was looking in the lens opening. I saw the shutter close, saw it activate to take the picture, and then saw it open again. The mirror did not move; it remained locked in the up position the entire time. I have a very high degree of confidence in saying that every other Nikon DSLR that has a Live View mode behaves exactly the same way my D3200 does; and that no Nikon DSLR—nor any DSLR by any manufacturer—behaves in the manner that you've described.

There is no rational reason why Nikon, or any other manufacturer, would make a DSLR that behaves in the manner that you describe, and I very much doubt if any manufacturer ever has.

eye4get

These comments and the camera's behavior are not my personal opinion. I suggest you actually use a D5200 before comparing your experience with the D3200. They are different cameras. The issue of (or lack of) aperture adjustment while in Live View is well documented and discussed. Try Google. I did considerable research before purchasing the camera and was aware of this small annoyance. It was not enough for me to buy a Canon, but it is something Nikon can address in an update. There is a partial fix by turning on manual movie mode in the settings.

pedroj

These comments and the camera's behavior are not my personal opinion. I suggest you actually use a D5200 before comparing your experience with the D3200. They are different cameras. The issue of (or lack of) aperture adjustment while in Live View is well documented and discussed. Try Google. I did considerable research before purchasing the camera and was aware of this small annoyance. It was not enough for me to buy a Canon, but it is something Nikon can address in an update. There is a partial fix by turning on manual movie mode in the settings.

Oh bugger...Nikon released the D5300....I should imagine a recall will be on the cards WHEN THEY read your post...

Can't have unhappy customers, Have a look at their D600 owners complaints...

eye4get

Ha Ha! So FUNNY. The reason new models are released is because people voice their opinions (or complaints). The companies who listen and meet demands stay on top. The ones who don't
[listen] fall to the bottom. It's simple economics. If we say nothing, products will not improve. I guanantee Nikon reads these forums. If enough people support the same issue, it will get fixed.

eye4get

The application of the term troll is subjective. Some readers may characterize a post as trolling, while others may regard the same post as a legitimate contribution to the discussion, even if controversial. Like any pejorative term, it can be used as an ad hominem attack, suggesting a negative motivation.

LensWork

Because Nikon chose to adapt a nearly 30 year-old (at the time) lens mount to new technology (AF) it certainly limited their progression. The aperture in Nikon lenses is mechanically actuated by a motor in the body linking to a lever at the lens mount. This has both advantages, and disadvantages. Only the D800 & D4 have (more complex) aperture motors that allow for adjustment of the aperture in live view. On lower models, once the mirror is raised the aperture motor is locked in place.

The advantage of Nikon retaining the "F" mount is two-fold: first, and foremost, it provides for legacy (read manual focus) lenses to be used in many cases with the latest AF digital bodies; secondly, it is (generally) a more reliable method of actuating the aperture than the electronic method used by Canon EOS cameras/lenses, especially zoom lenses. Canon EOS lenses have what is termed a "power diaphragm". This is a micro-motor inside the lens that receives both power and signal from the body to operate the aperture. There is a small, thin ribbon cable that runs the length of a Canon EOS lens from the mount to the location of the diaphragm. On zoom lenses this cable must stretch as the lens zooms. This eventually leads to the cable becoming pinched and broken rendering the lens inoperable. I have seen many a Canon EOS zoom lens that needed the power diaphragm replaced, "L" lenses included.

That being said, I have also seen many D40/50/60/70/80 cameras that have had their aperture baseplate motor (that motor that actuates the aperture lever of the lens) fail after several years of operation. I have never seen an aperture baseplate motor on mid to high-end models fail.

Last edited:

Bill16

@eye4get I'm curious. If you've figured out the issue as you stated and even confirmed this issue through research before purchasing the D5200, then what was this thread started for? I'm no expert and I don't have the D5200, nor even tried one, so I wouldn't be able to say one way or the other on the technical side of this. But I also can't see what you get out of posting this thread, having already made up your mind that this issue exists and that it is a flaw in Nikon's design of this model.
I can only see two possible reasons for this thread being started. One to point out what you consider a flaw in the D5200's design, while pointing out that canon didn't have the flaw. So some Nikon users might consider going to canon, especially at this time when D600 owners are dealing with a design issue. Or your trying to warn people about this D5200 issue, so they don't buy it without knowing what you believe is a real issue with this model and end up regretting their choice of Nikon models.
And this is even if your facts were undisputed. Am I missing a different possible reason, that makes sense?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this topic in general. It wouldn't be the first time that I totally missed the real point of a post in all the details. Lol :D

But like I mentioned, I'm curious, and I couldn't resist asking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.