Show us your macro setup.

Scott Murray

Well i am sitting here and thought it would be good to start a thread to illustrate what your macro set up is like. This is mine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1385039444.706813.jpg

The foam is off cuts which is attached to the Raynox DCR-250 by gluing it to some clear plastic and then screwing the lens of the Raynox and the mounting plate together. The lens is a Tamron 90mm macro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BackdoorArts

Well i am sitting here and thought it would be good to start a thread to illustrate what your macro set up is like. This is mine.

View attachment 59980

The foam is off cuts which is attached to the Raynox DCR-250 by gluing it to some clear plastic and then screwing the lens of the Raynox and the mounting plate together. The lens is a Tamron 90mm macro.

Interesting. How does the Raynox lens impact AF? In contemplating shooting snowflakes I'm thinking that adding extension tubes would be a better solution than introducing additional glass. With a set of 3 extension tubes I can only boost magnification about 0.7X, where if I'm reading this properly the Raynox will give me a 2.5X gain, right? Price is about the same as a set of Vello tubes, so I'm wondering what the better choice might be?

Scott Murray

Interesting. How does the Raynox lens impact AF? In contemplating shooting snowflakes I'm thinking that adding extension tubes would be a better solution than introducing additional glass. With a set of 3 extension tubes I can only boost magnification about 0.7X, where if I'm reading this properly the Raynox will give me a 2.5X gain, right? Price is about the same as a set of Vello tubes, so I'm wondering what the better choice might be?

I don't use AF with it on only MF. As you would see from my macro shots I get pretty good magnification but I am also looking at maybe extension tubes for the smaller bugs.

Bill16

Up until recently I just used my D3100 with my 105mm micro ai lens and a cheap tripod. But I'm going to start using my D5100 in the future. I don't have any external flash yet, and I'm eager to get a 105mm micro AF D lens so I can get the 1:1 ratio.

Scott I'm dying of curiosity about what the foam does to help? I know your macro shots have been awesome, and I'm always looking to improve mine! Lol :D

WhiteLight

Up until recently I just used my D3100 with my 105mm micro ai lens and a cheap tripod. But I'm going to start using my D5100 in the future. I don't have any external flash yet, and I'm eager to get a 105mm micro AF D lens so I can get the 1:1 ratio.

Scott I'm dying of curiosity about what the foam does to help? I know your macro shots have been awesome, and I'm always looking to improve mine! Lol :D

Jumping in for Scott ;-)
The foam acts as a diffuser so the harsh light from the flash can be made softer..
A larger light source always produces softer light

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Bill16

Oh! Thank you my friend! I can be such a dummy sometimes! Lol I really appreciate your help bud! :D
Jumping in for Scott ;-)
The foam acts as a diffuser so the harsh light from the flash can be made softer..
A larger light source always produces softer light

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

480sparky

Well, OK..............you asked!

Here's my current set=up:

MacroSetUp1B.jpg

1. Background (I have several colors, but usually use black or white)
2. 24" Silver-lined umbrellas (when shooting extreme macros, I take these off and just use the reflectors)
3. 300ws monolights
4. Light stands
5. Astronomer's star chair (works perfect for shooting macros..... the seat height is adjustable!)
6. Laptop to control DSLR
7. Small, adjustable-height table

MacroSetup2B.jpg

A. Nikon BR6 (to open & close lens aperture)
B. Old Nikkor 28mm 2.5 Ai lens
C. Nikon BR2 reversing ring
D. "Third Hand" for holding small objects
E. D600
F. Nikon PB6 bellows
G. Cable release to BR6 to open & close lens aperture
H. 4-way focus rail
I. USB cord from laptop
J. Manfrotto 410 geared head
K. (not shown) Manfrotto 055XB tripod
L. Yongnuo RF remote trigger for monolights